Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 996 Fast Road / Track Car - Oversize Build

Cheers. Yes that's pretty much what's been found in various tests over the years.

Those IPD things are pants. Biggest money spinner in recent years for the makers. Again ask Wayne at Chip Wizards what he thinks of those.
Like I say I'll still be fitting a cone filter. My car is running in the region of 400bhp. If it's 390 instead will it alter my fun in anyway? Nah, not at all.

Sometimes I have a passenger, sometimes I have a passenger and luggage. Sometimes I have half a tank of fuel, sometimes a full tank.
So the car varies almost every journey. When they sound as good as they do with a cone filter though, you aren't worrying about 5 or 10bhp. :wink:

PS. I do think once on the move the ram air effect from the deck lid feed will reduce the losses of a cone filter. When stationary, engine bay temps will always interfere more.

PS. Sorry for the thread hijack.

I had a K&N filter fitted to my C2 when I bought it and the indie I took it to advised me to remove it because of the fact the engine wasn't breathing nice cool air but hot air from inside the engine bay.

Watching the video he was exactly right. I returned mine to stock as I thought it looked better.

I thought this might be of interest, my car had a precautionary rebuild and upgrade to 3.9, I only collected it last week so have managed only 400 miles since due to the lockdown but it is now a different car to drive, the easiest way to explain it is that it pulls like a big turbo diesel from 2500rpm upwards :D

My car was basically stock apart from a 997 airbox with induction pipe (resonator mod) and has Dansk sport silencers. 314bhp was a good result for an 18 year old car on 65k miles.

While it was at Hartech they also installed some lovely Topgear s/steel exhaust manifolds and it now peaks at 366bhp (on Wayne's dyno as well as Hartech's own) :worship:

Grant and Tobias were a pleasure to deal with and I could not hope for a better result, I just wish I could pile some miles on it :roll:

Attachments

• dyno_runs_157.jpg
    dyno_runs_157.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 1,857
Moko said:
I had a K&N filter fitted to my C2 when I bought it and the indie I took it to advised me to remove it because of the fact the engine wasn't breathing nice cool air but hot air from inside the engine bay.

Watching the video he was exactly right. I returned mine to stock as I thought it looked better.

I ran standard airbox and now have the K&N and have switched back a couple of times. I have felt zero difference other than the K&N sounding brilliant. So as Mark says unless your wanting to optimize everything I don't see a problem running the cone filter. The sound adds so much more than 5-10bhp IMO.

Moko said:
This came up on YouTube today will be very interesting for you https://youtu.be/mc9c07qCuKY

great vid and sums it up really well. hub bolted dynos are always the best as is making sure the intake and run temps are consistent

exposed K&N kits are pointless as they don't isolate the heat. IPD plenum and larger TB makes no difference. maybe with a re map but then do you want to be in high revs all the time? not with a road car you need low to medium torque

stick with your standard air box and maybe a panel filter at best. block off the helmholz resonator for more noise and a cheap bung.

coullstar said:
NLW73 said:
stick with your standard air box and maybe a panel filter at best. block off the helmholz resonator for more noise and a cheap bung.

On the 3.4 it made very little difference to mine in terms of sound. My previous C4s it made a fair difference.

Made a big difference to mine, but that is with fairly noisy pipes

I've ummed and arrghed about the gt3 TB and IPD plenum for a long while now
And looks like my scepticism was for good reason

I have fitted a fab speed dual carbon fibre intake which I never fitted believing it would do anything more than make the car sound better
Which to me is a big part of the overall experience

A LWFW and the underdrive pulley made a much bigger difference to the way my car picked up and accelerated

if you want performance gains then go for 200 Cell CATS. one of the best things you can do and it will free up a fair bit of performance as well as sound better too.

Marky911 said:
My old C2 had a K&N cone on it. My GT3 has the std airbox. The C2 screamed more. Spine tingling at high revs. My GT3 is good but muted in comparison despite the full Cargraphic exhaust system.

My first GT3 had a cone and it was amazing. Almost Ferrari good.

So the first mod this year will be a Cargraphic Cup filter for the GT3. To hell with a few bhp which I've never ever felt were lost anyway.

:thumb:

I've always been curious about the sound of a K&N.
Would it increase overall volume? More high pitched at higher revs?
Asking wrt track days noise limits as i already have 200 cell cats so don't want to go louder.

will make it noisier at the top end.

I would say don't bother with it as the OEM piping is shorter and no restriction to the TB either. as per the You tube vid.

If you have a 996 then unscrew the resonator in the air box as that frees up around 25% air flow. 997 is trickier as plastic moulded in but i got mine out with a dremmel.

put the cap over the top to block off and you have more air flow and noise. very cheap mod.

see here on my build thread about half way down: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132092

Moko said:
This came up on YouTube today will be very interesting for you https://youtu.be/mc9c07qCuKY

Thanks for posting Moko!

I've been doing some reading on the subject today and one of my takeaways was that it seems intake mods are not typically worthwhile (for power gains) unless exhaust and other mods have been done first. This is not a comment specific to IPD plenum by the way.

Given i have exhaust mods and a modified engine (cams and flowed heads and valve seats) i'll be looking forward to the tests they do with exhaust bypass pipes. I'm subscribing to the channel.

NLW73 said:
will make it noisier at the top end.

I would say don't bother with it as the OEM piping is shorter and no restriction to the TB either. as per the You tube vid.

If you have a 996 then unscrew the resonator in the air box as that frees up around 25% air flow. 997 is trickier as plastic moulded in but i got mine out with a dremmel.

put the cap over the top to block off and you have more air flow and noise. very cheap mod.

see here on my build thread about half way down: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=132092

I've read everywhere that the resonator delete mode reduces power? Does it really make the car sound a lot better?

From the video posted by Moko also the K&N filter has quite meaningful negative impact and in particular for track days i would rather not be pushing air temperature up in there.

its the opposite as you now have one single cold air feed going into the TB and less restrictions = better air flow and more torque and better throttle response.. the OEM pipe has a diversion to the resonator.

the noise is defo louder and you get more intake noise/growl.

if you remove the helmholz resonator totally then you get more air flow which is only going to help.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back