Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Broken rear coil spring, advice please.

ShropshireLad

Hi,

Went to the car yesterday and the drivers side rear coil spring had broken.

A couple of questions:

- How difficult is it to get to the top of the shock/mount point on a 997 convertible i.e., are special tools required to remove the seats etc?

- I also assume that coil springs should be replaced as a pair?

- Best place to get springs from (non OE)?

Many thanks (I don't suppose anyone has seen a video on YouTube where someone has done this job?)

Hi,
I've found a couple of youtube vids in the past, I'll try and find and them and post links.

From what I understand the rears are more time consuming due to the fact they're covered in the back of the car with interior car trim etc.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb0Bl4guKXI&t=425s

Mac68

I have an OEM set of springs lying around the garage from a 997.1 turbo if any good to you 8)

From what I recall seeing it's just a case of putting the roof into service position (partially opened), pop off the 2 metal wires either side which hold the bottom part down and then remove the carpet which is held in with 4 plastic push pins. Once that is out the way you will see the upper strut bolts.

I did mine a couple of years ago, not too difficult, you will need a good spring compressor and as has been said there are some good vids on the process. I would take pictures of the top of the strut to make sure everything goes back as it came a part, there are some spacers and rubber parts which need to go back correctly.
I got my replacements from Porsche , you will need to get the colour code from the springs.
Incidentally, like you I came to drive the car and found it all lopsided, strangely a week later a rear spring broke too!!

badbadtz said:
From what I recall seeing it's just a case of putting the roof into service position (partially opened), pop off the 2 metal wires either side which hold the bottom part down and then remove the carpet which is held in with 4 plastic push pins. Once that is out the way you will see the upper strut bolts.

Thanks for the info here, my local Porsche Indie said put the roof in the 'service position' too.

Could you just explain, how that is achieved please (sorry for the dumb question!).

Regards

I am guessing you will be replacing both rear springs, for chances are that it could ride like a three legged horse if you only fit one new rear spring... :?:
Just thinking in type.

ShropshireLad said:
badbadtz said:

Thanks for the info here, my local Porsche Indie said put the roof in the 'service position' too.

Could you just explain, how that is achieved please (sorry for the dumb question!).

Regards

The service position is reached by opening until the rear hatch is fully open and the roof is detached so that there is about a 6" gap between the roof and the windscreen

Many thanks all, I will have a look at the links/video and I do appreciate the heads up - regards the service position of the hood.

I will be fitting a pair of new Porsche springs (fitting one just does not make sense.....when one has unexpectitedly broken!).

Regards

Agreed that you should replace them in pairs otherwise they'll have different compression rates

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back