Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brembo front 6 pot upgrade. All new parts for under £1k ?

C11BRA

Suzuka
New project!!!!

I've just pressed the GO button on my latest project.

I've decided to upgrade my Boxster/base 997 spec small front calipers/discs to 6 pot Brembo calipers over 350mm steel discs. I have set myself a challenge. To upgrade the front brakes for under £1000 using only new parts.

Calipers. New. Brembo 6 pot. (Not necessarily Porsche brand)
Pads. New. Brembo.
Discs. New. OE Spec 997.1 GT3 Steel discs. 350mm dia.
Pipes. New. Genuine Porsche.
Sensors. New. Oe or Porsche.
Shims etc. New. Brembo.
Hoses. New. Braided type.
Adaptor mounts. New. Machined & designed by me.

I have sourced all but the sensors, pipes & hoses and so far, all within budget.

More info coming soon.

Does this budget include the price you'll get for selling the old kit to someone looking to upgrade his non-Porsche project car? As you might be able to get a good couple of hundred pounds back, especially if the logos are still visible.

I've sourced a brand new pair of front Brembo 6 pots which includes the pads, shims & securing pin for £620. They suit 360mm discs so with my maths, +/- 10mm dia will be fine.

Physically they are placed some where between the 350mm dia 996/997.1 GT3 6 pot caliper (the ones with the odd, offset mountings) & the larger 380mm dia 997.2/991 GT3 caliper with the more traditional symmetrical/flat mounting.

My base 997.1 caliper mounting spacing is 130mm between centres for the 318mm dia discs

The bigger brakes on the S models are spaced at 142mm with 330mm discs. The 996 & 997.1 GT3 & Turbo share this spacing but are offset at an odd angle over larger 350mm discs. I assume they share the 142mm spaced hub.

The 997.2/991 GT3 calipers mounts are spaced at 225mm over 380mm discs.

The new calipers I have sourced have mounts located similar to the 991 Gt3 but spaced at 205mm.

I have ordered a 997.1 (non S) front hub/knuckle & a pair of OE spec 997.1 GT3 discs so I can set up on the bench to calculate the disc centre line & the spacer dimensions so I can design an adapter.

The discs were on offer so I paid £87.98 inc delivery for the pair!!! GT3 size? I will verify when they arrive.

Because I have the base car, even if I found a pair of used 996/997.1 6 pots I would still need an adapter from 130mm to 142mm. Being quite close in spacing distance, creating an adapter could have been tricky.

There is a set of these calipers on Ebay for £2100 with old pads & rusty discs for £2100

There is a set of the larger 6 pots on Ebay for £1100 although these were from a PCCB car. These have been recently refurbished but have no pads & suit the 380mm discs. (Pretty sure I couldn't find 380mm discs for just over £40 each!) These seem good value & in fact, these calipers are why I started looking into this project again now my new AC & centre rad are fitted.

So. For £620 I have bought a pair of NEW Brembo 6 pots which are similar in design to the GT3 997.1 but with my preferred 997.2 flat mountings. These are a slight upgrade in size from the 997.1 GT3 which is a bonus.
Brand NEW calipers including pads & the fittings. I can't quite believe it.

Let's see what turns up in the post.

Spend so far (inc delivery charges):

Calipers £620
Discs £87.98
Hub £55.00 (which I will resell after the project is completed)
Sensors £
Pipes £
Hose kit £
Mounts £ zero I will machine.
Bolts £
Paint £
Decals £
B/Fluid £

Total £762.98

MaxA said:
Does this budget include the price you'll get for selling the old kit to someone looking to upgrade his non-Porsche project car? As you might be able to get a good couple of hundred pounds back, especially if the logos are still visible.

No. I'll probably keep the old parts in case the next owner doesn't appreciate the non genuine set up. Saying that out loud though......makes no sense when you look at the Frankenstein nature of my car.

I might re-think this idea. Good point MaxA

I promise to resist the temptation to do a funky polished bronze coating like I did on my Frankenstein 996 😂🤣😂😂

They lasted 3 Euro trips inc the Ring & Goodwood Laps totalling 10,000miles.

Looking forward to seeing 350mm discs under these front wheels. And non yellow calipers. Due to the yellow accents around the car, I am thinking of going body colour with yellow Porsche decals? Any thoughts?

Psssttt. Yes. I'm already planning a rear GT3 disc/caliper upgrade. Don't tell the missus.

Looks great, how do the piston sizes compare?

MC

No idea. I'll measure up when/if they arrive.

You'll probably need a 27mm tsw master cylinder to accommodate new callipers. They are about f9r approx £100?

I've gone from 350mm OEM on 997 turbo to 380mm Brembo. Fantastic upgrade highly recommended when slowing down on track. Before and after 8)

Thanks to Sid at Porsche Torque for personally fitting.

Attachments

• img_7103_194.jpg
    img_7103_194.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 6,305
  • img_3670_125.png
    img_3670_125.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6,305
I'd personally keep the colour within the Porsche system. So either red or black. But I'm a stickler for order and stock look.

Oi not everyone has more money than God for posh ceramics - GT2 ceramics different to turbo by the way that will get you ticking for perfect form :grin: :grin: :D

IMI A said:
I've gone from 350mm OEM on 997 turbo to 380mm Brembo. Fantastic upgrade highly recommended when slowing down on track. Before and after 8)

Thanks to Sid at Porsche Torque for personally fitting.

Oh Wow! Them 380's look incredible. I'm already jealous and I haven't even fitted 350's yet. 🤦🏼"â™‚️

380's are pretty much out of my budget and I don't really track my car. I have 997.1 GT3 wheels so not even sure 380's fit.

Anyway. I'm committed to 350's now. In fact they've just arrived.

And I am delighted to announce that they are indeed 997.1 GT3 350mm discs for under £44 each! I might buy some spares. (Not included in the budget of course)

isysman said:
I'd personally keep the colour within the Porsche system. So either red or black. But I'm a stickler for order and stock look.

Did Porsche (For 997) ever do 6 pots in black? Or just Red & Yellow?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back