Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Benja's 996.1 K400 GT3

Lenny39 said:
Benja, as discussed on the SELOC forum she really looks mega. We seem to have a similar taste in cars!!

Yes!! Exige + GT3 seems to be a common choice for the discerning gentleman petrolhead :thumbs:

Slippydiff said:
My old steed, and a very fine motor car indeed. Ben's in for a real treat behind the wheel (as he's finding out) :)

...ain't that the truth 8)

Ooops - over a year since the last update.

Couple of modest changes to report mainly to the interior.

I've invested in one of the Porsche PCCM stereos to replace the sticky buttoned CDR. Owing to centre-console delete, I did not want the double-DIN unit that Porsche sell for the 996 and instead went for the single-DIN intended for 993 and earlier. I think it looks fantastic even though the screen is of course tiny. I did not think much to the Maplin-style USB hub that shipped with the unit and so I hid it away and instead have x2 fly leads (x1 Lightning for my iPhone and one female for anything else).

It's genuinely surprising how much differences CarPlay enabled Waze satnav and access to Podcasts makes to the usability of the car...win! :)

I've also changed the seat centres to Alcantara just because,..err I like Alcantara seat-centres.

k400interior1.jpg

k400interior2.jpg

Here's the car looking pretty at The Fairmile meet last night

k400exterior1.jpg

Other than that, the car has had a criminal lack of use. Lockdown , professional/paternal commitments and living in London have seen to that :nooo:

Looking good Benj!
Stereo looks great. I just use a Chinese cigarette lighter Bluetooth thing as I want to keep the CD-R but I can see the benefit of your head unit.
The stereo sounds that bad in mine that I just wear my ear buds for any motorway stints.

I have the same seat centres. They feel a lot more plush. 8)

I'm in the same boat as you regarding use. I haven't even taxed mine yet this year. A house move has occupied our time, I've been doing a lot of cycling and I have nothing in the diary car wise. As you say it's almost criminal but I won't use the car for a 15 mile commute. It'll barely be warmed up and most of it is boring dual carriageways so what's the point.
Hopefully next year will see my car diary pick up. :grin:

Stereo looks good. Did you fit it yourself or get it done? Just wondering what the fitment entails, been tempted to go this route myself.

Looks great from the rear too. :thumbs:

P1070811.JPG

Thanks Marky - kinda glad I'm not the only one who doesn't spend enough time sitting on those Alcantara centres. It does trouble me though that such an awesome machine spends so long languishing in the garage :(

Thanks for the pic T8 - the rear does look good, still happy I put the RS wing on.

The install was done by my good friends at TFL Racing https://www.tflracing.co.uk that run my Caterham. The car spends some of its life with them (languishing in their storage unit instead of my garage :( ) and one of their guys is awesome at jobs like this. The mic, GPS antenna, USB hub etc are all hidden away and it looks like it grew there. I don't know how keen he'd be to do another but I can ask if you want,..I think it would be a lot cheaper than many alternatives.

IMG_2869.jpg

Looking at home in the pitlane at Donington Park this week.

This was as close as it got to the circuit though because :

a) it's too loud
b) I'd cry if I put it in the kitty litter
c) I was driving a Caterham 8)

IMG_2847.jpg

Car is looking fantastic. The 996 GT3 is the next logical step for me once I find the right one, have enjoyed reading your thread!

Looking good Ben! 8)

The Caterham looks a riot. Can't believe I still haven't driven one. I've been a passenger in a well driven R500 on the road. Very impressive but I felt almost as vulnerable as I do on my motorbike. :eek:

Pip1968 said:
Slippydiff said:

Was that your old red Cup engined 996 GT3 early in the footage Henry?

Your black GT3 looks great on the gold BBS wheels Benja.

My BBS E88s should be arriving this month (after a 5 month wait). A Christmas present to myself.

Pip

Hi Pip, not my old car, unless Steve's changed the front bumper for one that doesn't have the Cup vents in its top face.

Caterham.

Everything you need, nothing you don't.

Teffers said:
Caterham.

Everything you need, nothing you don't.

...yes as a circuit car. I've actually never driven one on the road and don't have a burning desire to do so tbh.

Mine is an ex-racecar/ex-rental car that I paid £14k for. Yes I put a Sadev gearbox in, blew up an engine etc but even so for the punishment it takes you can't beat it in value term. They are fast too, even at big circuits like Spa they'll be on the money with the cars we're all familiar on this thread..they just go about it a very different way.

Here it is at Donny last Friday.

donny0322.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back