Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Benja's 996.1 K400 GT3

Good info Benj.

That's not bad at all. Good of them to refund the discrepancy.
Thanks for posting. :thumb:

Time for a bit of an update.

The BBS have still not arrived despite the continued efforts of Gert,..wow what a frustrating experience, that 5months+ now.

The KWs arrived back from their trip to Manthey-Racing looking like new :

k400kw.jpg

Then the parcel from KW arrived :

k400springs.jpg

Last weekend we had a bit of time with the car and my lad got involved changing the brake pads (Pagid RS29's on the Front and RS14 on the rear btw).

k400pagids.jpg

Then it passed it's MOT with no advisories and my good friend Sean kindly trailered it up to Michael at Sports and Classic to have a setup/service etc. It may even get over to the rollers at ChipWizards.

k400sandc.jpg

New plate is on the car too :D

Fingers crossed the wheels arrive soon (and ahem,..some other bits I may have ordered,...more on that in another post) and then I might actually get to drive it.

Right then, long overdue an update.

So where we left off months ago was in a pre-CV19 world and the car was with Mike at Sports&Classic. Well after a thorough service/setup, Mike took the car across to Wayne at Chip Wizards.

dyno.jpg

After a bit of tweaking and fettling it pulled 407bhp on the dyno a figure everyone was happy with; no MR ponies have escaped!

Mike send me a vid the next morning of the car starting sweetly from cold and it was job done.

Some friends were at Oulton the day after the Porsche day that Mike was attending so Mike took it to Oulton and my friends picked it up from there. Bit gutting that my friends and my GT3 were at Oulton and I wasn't but ho hum..

oulton.jpg

With the car back at TFL Racing again the only things remaining were the BBS wheels and the front-bumper that had a crack in it.

Then there was the wing..

Some people love the 6.1 GT3 wing but I was never sure. For me "the" 996 GT3 wing, was the 6.2 RS wing. I didn't want to let the car down with something shonky but equally didn't want to shell out the extraordinary £££ for a real one from Porsche. After a lot of research and discussion I found someone who could supply me a proper carbon deck/wing for a price I could stomach. It was a pretty bloody painful process though and I ended up having both the wing and the BBS in a protracted pending state.

It all came good though and the glorious BBS E88 landed just prior to lockdown and the wing shortly followed.

bbs.jpg

So with a couple of leads of bodyshops to fix the bumper and paint the deck, we were good to go....until CV19 lockdown kicked in :roll:

One of the candidate bodyshops (Southam Bodies) was pretty close to TFL, and as lockdown started to ease it looked like we could get the car over there (in a socially distanced way of course!). A quick chat with Greg the owner (who runs a 7.1 GT3 himself) and I was certain that my car would get the attention it deserved with him, so off it went.

The bumper ended up being beyond economic repair so a new Porsche part was ordered. The carbon deck/wing was a bit of a saga too. Whereas in my head was polished-carbon wing, for various reasons we ended up painting it body colour and I'm glad we did. Greg sorted getting the tyres on the BBS and woohoo, the car is nearly there.

http://greghowell.co.uk/

Final bits to do with the car now back at TFL. Momo Mod07 wheel and Centre-Console-Delete installed and sorted and we're ready to go!!

So after a VERY long time and considerable patience, my 996.1 GT3 K400 is finally ready for me to actually drive the damned thing! More on that bit in another post, for now enjoy some pics of the car looking lovely 8)

front1.jpg

rear2.jpg

front2.jpg

rear1.jpg
[/url]

Looks lovely, can't beat a K400 :thumb:

Love the wheels too.

Yeah , I have to say ...something good has come out of Covid-19 ...

That's is beautiful.......

Worth the wait ....

Certainly turned out nice. How much did the RS wing cost in the end? I got one from Manthey a few years ago but I think they have stopped producing them. I was a little disappointed with the finish though as they had not sealed the edges of the side plates :eek: . I ended up paying what I thought was a little too much to get them sealed over here.

Do you know the difference in price between the LMs and E88s ? I am sorely tempted to get a set especially as I have been spending less over the COVID-19 holiday. Mind you that was what, a five month wait from order to arrival - :?:

Did you have to go for the slightly narrower fronts as per the Mk I OEM wheels (7.5" over 8" Mk II.....I think).

Pip
Ps feel free to PM if you don't want your wife to see the costings. :D

Thanks guys!

Yeah I'm really happy with how it's turned out. It really is a very special motor vehicle. It was special before I got hold of it and I think the mods/maintenance I've undertaken have enhanced that, I hope so.

To answer the questions.

Tyre Pressures : you know what I've not even checked. I have no experience of 911's or Cup2's so I hope someone more experienced will pitch up with some insight.

BBS : Here's the sizes I ended up with :

8,5x18 ET40 and 11x18 ET63

I didn't look at the prices of LMs. Gert supplied the E88 and I paid the price on his website. The delay was caused by waiting for centres to be manufactured so that may have eased by now,..perhaps contact Gert. The purchase journey was very frustrating but they do look absolutely awesome and I love them.

RS Wing : This was supplied by FVD Brombacher, here is the link to the product.

FVD RS Wing & Deck

I ordered it at Xmas and got a "special price". I don't want to bad mouth them as they were perfectly pleasant to deal with but the experience was errr quite frustrating. The end result though, I'm happy with.

Wife : She stopped asking/caring about automotive spend a long time ago :thumbs:

Benja_Exige said:

8). Can't beat gold BBS on a GT3. Car is looking menacing. 😈

Pip1968 said:
Do you know the difference in price between the LMs and E88s ?

9E list LMs for just under £3k vs Carnewal €4415 for E88s

Benja, as discussed on the SELOC forum she really looks mega. We seem to have a similar taste in cars!!

Y2K said:

Having owned both the E88 is a far superior wheel, I also bought from Carnewal.

Looks very nice and strangely familiar :thumb:

Stuart said:
Y2K said:

Having owned both the E88 is a far superior wheel, I also bought from Carnewal.

Looks very nice and strangely familiar :thumb:

E88 waaaay lighter, LM more durable as a road wheel.

My old steed, and a very fine motor car indeed. Ben's in for a real treat behind the wheel (as he's finding out) :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back