Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone thinking of moving on a manual 993 C2?!

GregR1

Silverstone
Hi Guys

I'm a one-time 997 owner that's been out of a Porsche for five years.

This whole C-19 has had me re-evaluate my priorities. I was a big watch collector and have realised that throughout lockdown I've worn one watch about 3 times. I've spent lots of time with my family and would really like to be able to take the wife and kids out on nice drives. Simple solution, sell some watches = buy a car. I do have a 'fast' car at the minute, but it's a two-seater.

I've always had a hankering for a 993. I (clearly) missed the boat when a good C2 was £35k around 10 years ago I now realise I need to have deeper pockets, but I can't for the life of me find a C2 as opposed to a C4 that's a half decent spec.

I've been looking at the Polar/Metropole C4 at Clinkard for £49,995 .. or it was at Clinkard, the SOR vendor having withdrawn it on Friday. It looked ok, but for the blue interior, and was on c75k miles. The vendor had bought it on Collecting Cars last June/July for £45k.

Since then I've been drawn to the Cameron cars 993 C4 in Basalt black for the same price - 50k but the mileage is up at 90; it's on replica split rims (think RS) and has had a poor front-end respray.

Ideally I'm looking for a C2 in any event - manual obviously - with hard-backs and a/c. sunroof and rear wiper a bonus. sub 100k on the clock with all the usual issues addressed.

If I'm missing any blatantly obvious cars for sale around the £50k mark .. will someone please let me know?!

Much appreciated

Greg

Hello Greg, as a 993 owner myself I often browse the market to see what's out there - plus, if I'm honest, because I'm bored during lockdown!
Of course, advertised prices are no guarantee of what a car will actually fetch, especially in the current uncertain climate. I think you'd be doing pretty well to get a really nice C2 manual for £50k from a dealer, although it's not impossible.

For instance, Reason Porsche in Ipswich want £60k for their C2. Strasse are asking £62k for theirs. Hendon Way Motors seem to have a couple of cars in stock but their ad states "POA" which isn't helpful. Plus with HWM you'd want to, how can I put it, check out their feedback on the internet..........

You seem to have ruled out mileage over 100k but some of the best cars are in that range, especially if they've had lots spent on them. Mine has done 102k miles and it's just about to have a full suspension refresh at Center Gravity. With parts and labour that's a bill the wrong side of £4k - I'd rather have a 100k mileage car with everything done than, say, a 75k miles car that needs £10k+ of work to make it spot on. Just my thoughts, you understand, but happy hunting - as Motorhead once said, "the chase is better than the catch"!

We live in interesting times and who can predict the value of anything in the new normal as it might evolve. Watches in a drawer cost nothing to keep running perfectly, whereas an OLD sports car has costs involved. If you go in with zero dependence on investment thinking you would seem to be in a good position.

One has only to read through the posts of many issues that folk overcome relative to the realities of old car ownership, corrosion related repairs are perhaps where the highest degree of gambling may enter the purchase process...?

As for the possible shock to the system that taking a backward step in terms of technology compared to that which you may have become used to, for many folk THAT may be exactly which they were in search of when they sought to buy an older Porsche, and in that regard, would that suit you and ALL of your family when out on those drives you have envisioned. I think kids are into hi-tec and perhaps less so the sound of sitting almost on top of an air cooled engine..?

On the other side of that coin I have seen the a 993 owner of a wonderfully noisy and perhaps lowered 993 turn up at a Porsche event with his two lovely little girls who seemed to be enjoying their day out, perhaps if he reads this he may care to share his real world experiences..? I suspect he has paid out a fair bit more over the purchase price of his 993 in time..?

There is currently a 993 advertised on Pistonheads located in Perth with low recorded mileage... Is it best to spend extra up front or on repairs over time on a higher mileage car... Hmm..?

Beware the low mileage trap for a trap it can be just as being OCD about condition, that greatly restricts the ability to fully enjoy a Porsche as you might imagine...?

Good luck in your choices Greg. :thumb:

Take your time and a car will come along... I've watched the Manual C2 market for years and they are certainly not as rare as good 964 C2's just yet! :grin:

I'd forget about mileage... 100k on a 25 year old air cooled motor is nothing if serviced and used properly. Maintenance is key and preferably enthusiast owned.
Never got the "must have" Hardbacks either as the earlier Softback Big Bolster Sports Seats are far superior in support and comfort, unless you are of extremely large persuasion.
Colour is always a personal preference, however Blue & Classic Grey interiors are far less popular than Black & Marble/Black.

I'm sure you've versed yourself with area's to look at as detailed in the forums 993 section, be prepared to spend a few k if things like suspension, front & rear screen surrounds, chassis legs and a weak A/C need looking at.

The Supercar Rooms in Worcs have a lovely 70k mile Arena Red with Marble/Black for sale at £52k.

UK Sports Cars in Canterbury have a cool 74k mile White with Marble/Black for sale at £54k. Looks gash with Anthracite Wheels IMO but easily sorted.

Good luck in your search. :thumb:

C.

Thanks guys.

Enthusiast owned is an extremely important phrase in this process. I've had a few performance cars over the years and every one has been treated with the respect it deserves. My view is that if you're going to be tooling around at (or about) Her Majesty's speed limit, you want complete confidence that your inputs bring about the desired response..

I'm under no illusion that the 993 will be fast (I have something Italian with 12 cylinders for that) or modern (the kids go in a Discovery for long journeys and 'plug in') so this is a car for the mythical jaunt to the beach/hills with a smiling family of four, each enjoying the growl of a Flat 6. In truth, I've lusted after one for years and as I say, well and truly missed the boat.

Thanks for the comments re. six-figure mileage. I've always been on the fence re. mileage and I agree that one is better off with a high-mile, well-maintained car than a garage queen that has sat motionless for two years with all sorts of problems waiting to be found.

Thanks again

Greg

Welcome.........the other advantage of the 100k + car in good condition is that you are not clock watching the mileage :thumb: .....a members on here who's old 964 Jubilee has just sold very quickly with a 'high" mileage is proof that these cars are true classics now where the 100k barrier will become less and less of an issue IMHO.......

.......oh and you could get a C4S with 60k on the clock for £35k back then, C2 where mid 20's :grin:

[quote="jonttt"]

.......oh and you could get a C4S with 60k on the clock for £35k back then, C2 where mid 20's :grin:[/quote]

You're right, it was an iris/midnight blue C4S that was for sale at 911v that I was thinking of. Then there was the mint green one ....

D'oh

There's one local to me that you may not of seen advertised, it looks nice (have seen it in the metal). There is also a black one there that i've seen, unsure if it will be for sale or it's a customers car, might be worth asking.

Matt

https://www.reasonporsche.com/copy-of-box-24

Hi

Kids really do not like the back of any 911's. Mine hated the 993. Its qualities were lost on them. Having said that I still occasionally get one in the back even though they are now grown up.

In fact my wife and eldest daughter (24) got caught in the rain earlier this week, and I got both in the passenger seat of the 986 at the same time. That was pretty funny. The 993 would have been luxury, but it was trapped in the garage.

Best of luck with your search. Be patient!

Berni

kids

My 3and 5 year old love the back seats of the 993. It's always 'Open the roof dad' on a nice day :thumb:

My 9 year old son also loves the back seat in the 993. He alternates between front and back when out and about.

C.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back