Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A few new parts & DSC fitted to a 997.1 C4s @ Center Gra

drmark

Nurburgring
My wife's C4s had a full suspension refresh (new everything inc dampers) at 55K a few years ago. Now at 65K and just back from European trip and a number of problems have developed:

1. Vibration at speed (80-85) - terrible the next morning after the car had been parked up following a long drive in high temps, so put down to flat spotting.
2. The classic front end rattle (snooker balls in a box) when hot at low speeds over rough road, manholes etc.
3. Slightly vague steering (though we had no idea how vague until it was fixed)
4. And we were keen to improve the crashy ride but keep the handling right.

So to CG last week after ordering a DSC and accelerometer direct from US 10 days earlier.

Peter (as fastidious as ever) found inner tie rod on driver's side was shot (put on 15k ago in 2016) and both front wishbone arm ball joints were loose (the rattle is only noticeable when hot due to the aluminium arms expanding more than the steel ball joints). The arms were only 10k old so disappointed they had gone so early, but that is the the joy of running 19s and big tyres on an arms designed for the 18s on a 996.

So new arms and inner tie rod later, geo was corrected (rears were still perfect from 10k miles ago) and DSC and accelerometer fitted. The latter is a bit of a faff and I am glad I did not attempt it myself - took about 1:30 hrs.

500 miles later and car feels great. Steering much improved (funny how you don't notice a problem that develops slowly). Silky smooth ride with no vibration or rattles ( I had the wheels Road Force balanced elsewhere before seeing CG but did not solve all the vibration), and much less crashy over local crap roads. Feels better than we picked it up from the showroom.

Not had much chance to test the handling in anger but it feels much more settled at speed.The perfect tourer that can change into a tool for alpine passes at a flick of the DSC button. I have kept both programmes standard for now. Oh, and Sport is now completely useable on all roads.

Happy so far, but skint!

Already looking forward to my next CG visit in the spring, having undone most of the suspension this winter.

As so many of us are DSC users now, is there a way to share custom maps?

What make were the arms, is there a manufacturing problem that we need to be aware of?

maldren said:
What make were the arms, is there a manufacturing problem that we need to be aware of?

Meyle. Peter didn't seem that surprised. To be honest our OE Porsche ones were noisy from 20k on.

Really interesting write up of the issues that you have been suffering from... I seem to have a very similar set of issues. I really like the snooker ball analogy as i think thats what i am getting, plus the vibration feeling etc

If you dont mind me asking how much did the work come to? I am really keen to go to CG but really cant afford a massive bill at the moment on a car i only drive once a week...

talal said:
Really interesting write up of the issues that you have been suffering from... I seem to have a very similar set of issues. I really like the snooker ball analogy as i think thats what i am getting, plus the vibration feeling etc

If you dont mind me asking how much did the work come to? I am really keen to go to CG but really cant afford a massive bill at the moment on a car i only drive once a week...

Road test / diagnosis, supply and fit 2 arms, and inner tie rod and geo afterwards was just over £500.

oh... that seems really reasonable especially if after you left the car no longer had the snookerball effect and more confident steering feel...

i was expecting a £1k plus bill when parts needed to be replaced

do they hold stock of parts or will it be a case of having to go back?

They hold them all in stock. It will cost more if your car needs full geo - mine just needed tweak as still good from last set up.

I had full geo and 2 new toe arms, and it was about £650. Full geo is about £350.

talal said:
oh... that seems really reasonable especially if after you left the car no longer had the snookerball effect and more confident steering feel...

i was expecting a £1k plus bill when parts needed to be replaced

do they hold stock of parts or will it be a case of having to go back?

They hold *most* of the common stuff in stock, think control / coffin arms, bump stops, top mounts etc.

If you suspect you need something replacing (like a PASM shock for example), do mention it to Holly when booking it in - allows them to budget time and get the parts and means more chance of you getting in and out in a day :)

CG are taking email bookings now for their excellent Porsche suspension health check... £120, inc a geo check, road test and full inspection in the ramp. Refundable against any arising work done before end March. :thumb:

Robertb said:
CG are taking email bookings now for their excellent Porsche suspension health check... £120, inc a geo check, road test and full inspection in the ramp. Refundable against any arising work done before end March. :thumb:

A genuine win - win for owners available and CG :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cchrysos
Back