Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo boost issues ( maybe )

I had boost issues on my 991 - turned out to be actuator on one turbo.
No warnings or error but you could definitely feel it wasn't pulling as hard as it should.
Good luck

Developments of sorts ! Took the car to let a friend have a look, pat from syvecs and this is what he said !

Please excuse the part repeat post but I'm sure you'll get the jist

the 997 turbo has an ECU that learns. If it knows its driver is Italian it adapts. Not kidding. Just got back have been out for an hour in the turbo. Brill weather for them - more fun when its wet :D

Mezgerite said:
I'm not convinced there is anything wrong with it - 0.6 bar isn't particularly low.

We won't know until we log the requested and actual boost - the dash gauge isn't the best.

However, most turbps I come across will have some issues with boost without the owner even knowing. The following should be done:

1. Log boost pressure actual, requested, and the position of the actuators.
2. Replace the DV valves with GFV metal units as the originals will almost certainly not be sealing completely.
3. Smoke test the intake system to check for any leaks.
4. Pressure test the intake system to ensure there are no leaks while under pressure.

Even if there are no obvious running issues, doing these will nearly always uncover something.

Rick

Not much to add to that.
Although it will almost certainly be a boost leak somwhere as Rick says if the actuators are working. Get someone who has a suitable test kit to pressure test it for you and go from there.

I found multiple leaks on mine during rebuild shakedown, turned out that one of the intercoolers was holed which seems to be very common as I firstly bought 'good' used replacements and they both had holes too... (I was planning to upgrade to DO88 ones so just wanted used stock until then). I ended up buying new though. Failing that it could be a hose but if they pop off its usually less boost given than your showing.

Thanks imi and horse I appreciate your help I am still learning about these amazing cars I just assumed at only 9k miles it would be like new , pat laughed out loud while we were out logging it yesterday because there's an hours metre in the car which clicked over 300 while we were driving so basically the equivalent of a fortnights driving in 13 years :floor: I'm hoping Rick sees pats comments and reply's ,can't wait till he's back in the country :thumb:

Check the boost pipes, mine had a leak which restricted it to 0.6. Afterwards you will see it going up to 1 or 1.2.

I only used to get 1.2 bar in 6th gear at 50mph WOT in sport mode. Maybe try this and see what boost gauge measures?

high boost

To see high boost, floor it for a prolonged period from low revs in a high gear. My 996 only hits 0.6 by the time it red lines within seconds, but in a high gear it will fairly quickly reach 0.8.

Thanks rob and imi I'll try it first chance I get in manual mode in 5'th from a couple of grand , as pat describes it is eventually making requested boost but just seems like a while to get there a little lethargic so to speak laggy ! And that's what's bothered me as I thought these cars were famed for very little lag ! Is this just a characteristic of the tiptronic box ?
Many thanks Simon

I really wouldn't be messing about trying anything until your car has been sorted out.

My tiptronic car shows 0.7 bar within moments of me flooring it in any gear and more than that if I'm in Sports mode.

If I put it in 'M' and then floor it I need to thumb the rocker virtually straight away. It's so rapid that I very rarely use Sports and 'M' at the same time.

NB: The VTGs on the 997T make the car a lot less laggy than a standard 996T although neither has much lag if you're in the right gear to start with.

Fat Porker said:
Thanks rob and imi I'll try it first chance I get in manual mode in 5'th from a couple of grand , as pat describes it is eventually making requested boost but just seems like a while to get there a little lethargic so to speak laggy ! And that's what's bothered me as I thought these cars were famed for very little lag ! Is this just a characteristic of the tiptronic box ?
Many thanks Simon

Mine is a 996 so I'm not sure if the turbos are the same. I always have more about four times more power than needed at all revs!

RobFrost said:
Mine is a 996 so I'm not sure if the turbos are the same. I always have more about four times more power than needed at all revs!

Just about the biggest difference between the 996T and the 997T were the turbos used on each. Most of the extra 53 bhp comes from them and the difference, particularly at lower revs, is very noticeable.

You have your answer. Needs checking! That poor car has been sitting around so long its probably forgotten its a Porsche turbo :grin:

IMI A said:
You have your answer. Needs checking! That poor car has been sitting around so long its probably forgotten its a Porsche turbo :grin:

I know , three hundred hours engine time in thirteen years equates to 0.26% total running time or 12.5 days out of 4750 ! She is so totally perfect in virtually every way I'm just getting obsessed our lass thinks I'm nuts
:floor: Just hope ricks not too booked up to take a look

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back