Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

'Training' the PDK

Logi

Sorry if this has been covered before, I did have a little look at the search...

I've had the 997 for 9 months now (gen 2) so I'm pretty well used to its little foibles and the various noises it chucks at me every now and then that always make me think $$$. One thing that I have been wondering about though is the PDK and how it operates in the various modes (regular and sport, I've not much ventured into sport plus).

In regular, it changes up way too quickly in my opinion. When driving around town it'll want to be as high a gear as possible, so I'll be going along at 30 in 5th. If I slow down it often doesn't react and speeding back up in 5th will really bog down the engine (does this in lower gears too, like trying to pull away from a crawl in 3rd etc). It basically always feels maybe one gear above where I think I should be, sometimes two gears at low speeds. And I really wish it wouldn't even consider 7th unless motorway cruising. I pretty much always start off in manual mode until the oil is up to temperature, so that I can keep the revs in the 2-3k range (I read somewhere that this is good practise) before using the regular auto mode.

Sports mode I feel is much more in tune with how I like to drive, but at low speeds it's the opposite to the above - it tends to want to drive in 2nd in 30 zones and is quick to go into first when slowing for e.g. roundabouts, which then sounds like I'm revving the arse off it! When driving more spiritedly, sports mode is perfect for me, always feels like it is exactly right no matter if I'm cruising along on relative straights or thrashing along a twisty country road; it also understands that 7th gear is not the answer to any question.

My solution basically is therefore to drive mostly in sport, and change into manual around town, but I was wondering if there is some way to 'train' or tune the PDK to be a bit more responsive in regular mode, and less severe at low speed in sport mode? Basically to drive exactly how I want it to in each mode, rather than how it wants to (though who am I to doubt the Porsche engineers?!)

Hope this makes sense. Grateful for any pointers.

Gratuitous picture to follow for sticking with me!

Porky 2.jpg

Standard mode is designed to move up through the gears early in the rev-range to optimise fuel consumption.

You can force the car to do a PDK Adaptation Reset using the procedure in the link below. This may help relearn your personal driving habit. Make sure the car is up to operating temperature -

Personally I only drive mine in Manual with Sport + engaged in all scenarios (unless cruising on motorway)

Manual mode
Sport
Suspension set to std
PSE on
Then it's ok to drive off.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back