Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

992 Carrera S

Stavros Senna

As I near the big 50 I want to buy a 911, its something I've always dreamed of doing and I'm going to spend the next 2 years learning everything I can in readiness. So please don't think I'm here to be irritating or I'm asking silly questions.

I'm looking at an early 992 Carrera S with most of the standard options like Sport Chrono, Sports Exhaust, 14/18 way seats, Bose etc...

As this generation ages has there been any issues that have become common place across the 992 Carreras ? (I'm a UK buyer - Drive train, Infotainment, Rattles, etc)

I’m just in the process of changing out of my 2020 C4, with 18k and so far it’s been faultless, there’s the odd rattle more a squeak, but nothing that unusual for 911’s.
However these are now twin turbo cars and as such there’s always the possibility of future issues with these, so therefore I’d always run these with full OPC warranty.
Your spec sounds good so get a drive and enjoy! Btw you’ll find that even a base model is probably sufficient for most peoples needs imo..

You're probably right about the spec, but it'll be a car that I intend to keep for 10 years or so as a weekend warrior so I want it to be right for me (I'm just picky). I've popped into Porsche Tewksbury (Blake, very nice chap) to which I was honest with in relation to my timeline and that it would be used car purchase, Blake suggested a 991.2 GTS but I'm not keen on the Alcantara as its a fabric that declines in quality with age.

You also raise an interesting point around the Turbos, certainly something to keep an eye on.

I've seen comments in various places with regards to infotainment & cameras freezing, is this over hyped ?

The GTS is always a great starting point into porsche ownership as they come well specced as standard. Re alcantara, in the real world its just as hard wearing as leather ie if the alcantara is showing wear through high use then leather would also ;-) its worth noting that on the GTS models leather is a no cost option and so you can find GTS cars with full leather, albeit alcantara is one of the features that makes a GTS unique.
Re the current gen infotainment etc……. Porsche has always been slightly behind the curve compared to the likes of BMW but the current gen works well enough and with wireless CarPlay / android auto is as flexible as you want it to be. I’ve not heard any particular issues re the 992 and in the Taycan my experience has been very good.
Enjoy the search and don’t get too wrapped up in the “I’m buying a car to last me 10 years”, buy one that suits you now, you won’t keep it ten years, once porsche gets you hooked you will want another in a few years lol

spec is the most important

water pumps are still and issue as well as electrical gremlins, but in the whole these are reliable cars that do hold their value

check out https://www.stirlings.co.uk/Cars/For-Sale

I bought a 16 month old 992 Carrera S two weeks ago and loving it. 5000 miles on the clock and loads of extras. I went to a main dealer for the warranty and re-assurance.

If spec is important should I be listening to Blake with his suggestion of 991.2 GTS as apposed to a 992 C2S with similar similar specs?
then you would get a 991.2 Turbo S, with the complete spec

the base audio on 992 is poor.Sports Exhaust is essential
Otherwise its a fantastic product a few rattles come and go but no issues to report

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back