Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 shifter in a 996

Paynewright

Montreal
Planning to fit a new 997 shifter in my 996.2 C2 and believe the part number is 997 424 010 00. Existing one is a bit sloppy / has play.

My question is.....does the new shifter from Porsche come with the two cable ends shown in the picture below (items 7 & 8.) Or do I need to order them as well?

Attachments

• 9c269897_8eaa_43e5_bdf6_7e31b6cb4ca8_325.jpeg
    9c269897_8eaa_43e5_bdf6_7e31b6cb4ca8_325.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,938
I`ve never bought one but I would think as the parts 7 & 8 have separate part numbers I would think you have to order them as well, they look to be about £20 for the pair :grin:

It might be worth a call to the OPC to confirm if you need to :thumb:

7&8 stay on the end of the cables. They simply form part of the connection to the new shifter lever mechanism....no need for new ones :thumb:

They are joints in the mechanism and joints wear.

For the sake of £20 (if they dont come with the shifter) I'll be changing them whilst its in bits.

Hi,
If you order 1 it comes with 7 & 8.

Thats my take on it

hope that helps

9-apart have the 997 shifter listed on ebay so have sent them a question. I'll report back once I have a definitive answer.

awesome, would be nice to see what your thoughts are when fitted aswell. My pal fitted the 997 gt3 to his and he said it improved the feel no end!

They do wear, I swapped mine out at the same time as changing the shifter for the 997 one. For the sake of £20 and while you're in there...........

I fitted a 997 shift, modified by Alex to add bronze bushes so it has a very precise movement.

The shift itself is a direct replacement and easy to fit. The front/back motion is reduced by about 1". I found the short shifts that I tried were too short for me and my older box may have problems with selecting gears.

Thanks Mike - seems an age since we were at Centre Gravity!! Hope you are well.

I've just cleaned and waxoiled the whole of the underneath and replaced the remaining rigid brake lines and rear hoses. Few very minor bits of surface rust to clean up but 98% clean / as new. Sailed through its MOT.

I'm not looking for 10/10ths track performance so will probably go with the 997 standard shifter just for extra precision.

Porsche would not sell the 997 part for 996's if they could cause a problem with gear selection on the old box ....ie its an official Porsche part for the 996 :wink:........nb the short shift is not really a SHORT shift in the truest sense, to me it just gives the throw the cars should have had from factory :bandit:

I swapped my 996 shifter for a standard 997 shifter. I also swapped the cables at the same time as the click on the end, by the gearbox, had gone.

straight swap and 100% improvement. got the shifter from OPC, with 15% discount, so came in cheap (ish)

Paynewright said:
9-apart have the 997 shifter listed on ebay so have sent them a question. I'll report back once I have a definitive answer.

Hi, OPC Sheffield was cheapest at £180 inc. VAT. Didn't say what car it was for, just gave them the part number as you posted above.

Apologies that this is my first post, will say hello elsewhere.

Should add, just before Christmas they had some in the country, delivery was next day.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andewcb
Back