Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 prices

Kev.K said:
160dmb said:
Kev.K said:
I had a boxster pdk as a courtesy car for a while. I loved it but the only thing I didn't like were the paddles. They just didn't make sense to me. It was odd that they both did the same thing and they felt 'back to front".

Can this be changed with coding?

Can't be changed with coding but can be changed with rewiring - requires a decent bit of dismantling thou. Alternatively buy a new steering wheel :)

I didn't know that was a option. Great news. Mind made up.

The paddles were putting me off the pdk a bit tbh.

I think you mean the Steering wheel buttons rather than the paddles .... as the paddles function logically....
There are two versions of control at the steering wheel .....

And.....I don't think you can compare a RS3 to a 997.2 in terms of everyday use ....the Porsche would be the d2d car over the rs3..... every time.......

Buy the 997.2 and see for yourself why they are the choice.....

You could alternatively go for the better handling model The Cayman ......in S form it is a great car ....

Ishay said:
PS - not sure what you remember about Gen2 prices to say they have come down massively but my old car is currently for sale with a trader for £36k.

I paid £35k for it 3 years ago from a differently dealer, with 14k fewer miles and of course one less owner. So no, static and a bit up

It was around 4/5 years ago.

I'm shocked by how 997.1 prices have gone. I thought they would go the same way as the 996.

911TEL said:
Kev.K said:
160dmb said:
Kev.K said:
I had a boxster pdk as a courtesy car for a while. I loved it but the only thing I didn't like were the paddles. They just didn't make sense to me. It was odd that they both did the same thing and they felt 'back to front".

Can this be changed with coding?

Can't be changed with coding but can be changed with rewiring - requires a decent bit of dismantling thou. Alternatively buy a new steering wheel :)

I didn't know that was a option. Great news. Mind made up.

The paddles were putting me off the pdk a bit tbh.

I think you mean the Steering wheel buttons rather than the paddles .... as the paddles function logically....
There are two versions of control at the steering wheel .....

And.....I don't think you can compare a RS3 to a 997.2 in terms of everyday use ....the Porsche would be the d2d car over the rs3..... every time.......

Buy the 997.2 and see for yourself why they are the choice.....

You could alternatively go for the better handling model The Cayman ......in S form it is a great car ....

I'd love a gt4 but the regular cayman isn't for me. Great cars but I've loved 911 since I was a kid.

It probably would have been the buttons in boxster. I am used to right hand up, left hand down. Anything else doesn't feel natural to me.

Kev.K said:
....... I'm shocked by how 997.1 prices have gone. I thought they would go the same way as the 996.

Have you seen where 996 prices are now compared with 4 years ago :?:

£20k for a decent narrow bodied car and c£25k for a C4S is the main reason that you have to pay mid-£20ks for a Gen1 997.

I still don't understand the rise in 996 prices. It's like the interest in them being a "bargain" has caused prices to overshoot :dont know:

T8 said:
Kev.K said:
....... I'm shocked by how 997.1 prices have gone. I thought they would go the same way as the 996.

Have you seen where 996 prices are now compared with 4 years ago :?:

£20k for a decent narrow bodied car and c£25k for a C4S is the main reason that you have to pay mid-£20ks for a Gen1 997.

I genuinely had no idea. I thought they started around £10k?

I'm amazed tbh.

If prices continue to go the way they are I might be taking a look at early R8's again come September.

They are finally on the way down after staying at £40k forever.

I just worry about using one as a daily. They're wide and low.

I was hoping to pick up a 09 pdk for around £30k. I'm guessing anything around that price is going to be rough?

I personally wouldn't pay £25k for a 997.1 due to the bore scoring issue. But if a nice 997.1 is £25k, surely £30k doesn't buy a decent 997.2 pdk?

I'm in your boat with a similar budget, I'm going for a 997.1 - I'm not in any way suggesting that bore score isn't an issue but it's not a given - that extra £5k on purchase price is half way to an engine rebuild. There's also no guarantee that a 997.2 won't throw up an expensive issue soon after purchase, they're not indestructible.

You're buying a second hand Porsche that was once £60k-£70k with 50-80k miles on the clock, it's always going to be a bit of a lottery.

Buy the best 911 you can afford within your budget IMO!

Robert SausageTrousers said:
I'm in your boat with a similar budget, I'm going for a 997.1 - I'm not in any way suggesting that bore score isn't an issue but it's not a given - that extra £5k on purchase price is half way to an engine rebuild. There's also no guarantee that a 997.2 won't throw up an expensive issue soon after purchase, they're not indestructible.

You're buying a second hand Porsche that was once £60k-£70k with 50-80k miles on the clock, it's always going to be a bit of a lottery.

Buy the best 911 you can afford within your budget IMO!

I see your point. The 997.1 sounds better too.

I just couldn't live with one. I'd be worried all the time and I wouldn't enjoy the car. I thought long and hard about it 5 years ago and decided against it.

I'd rather have a car without any major known issues.

I've conidered the Maserati gran turismo (Range Rover huge and very thirsty), vantage v8 (a bit posh for a manc and again very thirsty), R8 V8 and the 997.2.

I plan to buy privately or through a independent dealer so maybe I will find a 997.2 in my price range?

If not I may go for a R8 V8 manual. The shocks are the only real weak point. I can live with that.

I appreciate they are older cars and things go wrong. But I've read too much about the 997.1 engine to have one not rebuilt by hartech or similar. It's a inherently flawed design.

That's why I'm shocked at the price increase. I guess most buyers aren't aware.

I am with mr sausage as there are plenty of members on here with a 997.1 and we are all well aware of the known issues but but thats the gamble you take. I don't worry about it every time I drive my car i just enjoy it and know one day I might need a rebuild if it happens, plus you will probably need one anyway once a car gets over a certain millage, also what if you buy that gen2 and the pdk box goes?

If you are that worried you could always hunt down a gen1 with a hartec rebuild

If the paranoia will eat you up and stop you enjoying the car then fair enough I suppose, I'm not sure I'd buy one if I wasn't in the position to sort out a rebuild if needed, and as said I'd rather spend £5k+ less on the car and keep it back for the worst case scenario! I also think you're possibly more likely to come into trouble stretching to a 997.2 and maxing budget and/or buying at the bottom end of the market for that model, rather than just buying the best car with best SH etc possible within your budget.

At the end of the day you've got to do what makes you most comfortable - there's no point buying one and not enjoying it! Good luck with your search :)

Thefinn said:
I am with mr sausage as there are plenty of members on here with a 997.1 and we are all well aware of the known issues but but thats the gamble you take. I don't worry about it every time I drive my car i just enjoy it and know one day I might need a rebuild if it happens, plus you will probably need one anyway once a car gets over a certain millage, also what if you buy that gen2 and the pdk box goes?

If you are that worried you could always hunt down a gen1 with a hartec rebuild

If pdk boxes are anything like m3/4 DCT boxes. There are loads available 2nd hand as they are so reliable.

I'm aware that anything can go wrong on a car, but buying one when there is a good chance it will have or develop bore scoring is something else. The nav and tech are also a bit dated now.

The other thing that would stop me is the fact that they were cheaper when I was looking 5 years ago. That would wind me up.

From what I can see they aren't selling very quickly at the moment so maybe I will find what I'm looking for in sept/October. I really don't want to spend more than £30k.

If the paranoia will eat you up and stop you enjoying the car then fair enough I suppose, I'm not sure I'd buy one if I wasn't in the position to sort out a rebuild if needed, and as said I'd rather spend £5k+ less on the car and keep it back for the worst case scenario! I also think you're possibly more likely to come into trouble stretching to a 997.2 and maxing budget and/or buying at the bottom end of the market for that model, rather than just buying the best car with best SH etc possible within your budget.

At the end of the day you've got to do what makes you most comfortable - there's no point buying one and not enjoying it! Good luck with your search :)

Cheers mate.

I wouldn't buy a 997.2 that wasn't well looked after and in good condition. Maybe I'll find a 09 C2 for around £30k?

I spoke to hartech at length last time I was interested as they are local. I came away with the impression it's a case of when not if a 997.1 will need it's engine rebuilding. It wasn't cheap either. 5 figure bill if I remember correctly.

Cheers mate.

I wouldn't buy a 997.2 that wasn't well looked after and in good condition. Maybe I'll find a 09 C2 for around £30k?

I spoke to hartech at length last time I was interested as they are local. I came away with the impression it's a case of when not if a 997.1 will need it's engine rebuilding. It wasn't cheap either. 5 figure bill if I remember correctly.

See, any car will need it's engine rebuilding at some point.

Don't believe the hype. 997.1's are great cars.

It is far better now because we understand the issues and mitigate against them. "back in the day" people used to rag them from cold which is probably the main cause of bore scoring.

There are also degrees of bore scoring, lots won't be a problem and won't ever get any worse, some will of course be a problem, but are pretty confident that the ones which will have problem are about 3% to maybe 5%. That's an awful lot of cars which are fine.

Personally I think IMS is a much bigger issue. Instant engine death with no warning. Bore Score is a much more gradual process.

I think it's easy. Get a good solid 997.1 with a Hartech engine rebuild already done. Don't get the cheapest gen 2 possible, it isn't a good idea.

Get a warranty, peace of mind sorted.

Or an R8. but, ermmm, yawn..................

The percentage of affected 997.1 engines increases every year. Quoting arbitrary figures doesn't really reflect the reality.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back