Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Handbrake Issue?

chunkymonkey1982

Silverstone
I have a 997.2 PDK, and reverse park it in my drive thats on a incline. The back of the car is maybe 30-40cm lower than the front when parked. Recently ive noticed when i pull the handbrake up, the car rolls back a bit and i can hear a clonk and then stops.

Is this due to the handbrake pads wearing out and the car is able to roll and its being held from rolling further by the PDK transmission?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

Put the car in neutral .. then apply the handbrake and see how far it rolls .. my guess would be about the same .. there is some " give " in the handbrake shoes .

If it rolls down the slope then yes .. the handbrake shoes are not holding !

Corrosion would be the norm here .. remove the discs and give the drum section a good sanding followed by the shoes .. dust mask obviously !

Hi Demort, if i put the car in neutral, it does roll back even with the handbrake applied. If i pull the handbrake up further, ie put some serious force it does stop the car rolling but guess i shouldn't be doing this.

The car does need new discs and pads at the back, if i did that would it fix the problem? Is changing the discs and pads harder at the back then doing it at the front? I did it on the front 2 years back.

Your problem is the handbrake shoes not the rear disc pads.......they either need adjusting / cleaning or changing.

When I changed my rear discs and pads I readjusted the handbrake (it was not holding fully as per yours) and that sorted it, no need for new hand brake shoes.....you have to remove the rear discs to replace the hand brake shoes but they can be adjusted without removing the disc if you google how to ;-)

Ok .. that's proved the handbrake is not that effective .. 2 reasons .. one side is not holding due to an issue .. seized cable , linkage etc

Or both sides have corrosion on the inner "Drum" part of the rear discs .

Replacing rear discs and pads will help as you are replacing the drum instead of having to sand it down ... whilst doing this job you would also give the handbrake shoes a bit of a sanding .

Is it a hard job ? not particularly .. the main difference is slackening off the handbrake adjuster then adjusting it afterwards ..

To do that you line a bolt hole in the disc up with the gear on the adjuster .. one way tightens and the other loosens .. you use a long flat bladed screwdriver to adjust these .

To check for anything seized .. a bit old school but it still works .. disc off on one side only , you hold a screwdriver against the back plate and a shoe to hold it in position .. someone gently pulls the hand brake on and the un supported shoe will raise .. release and it will go back down .

You do this with all 4 shoes .

Thanks for the advice and the video, i was planning on changing the disc and pads as they were old anyway. Car has done 72K and think its on its original discs. Will make sure to adjust the handbrake when i put it back together!

Thanks again!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back