Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stalling issue help

Lozp

Hey all,

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this issue I seem to be having.

I have a 1998 996 cabriolet 3.4l tiptronic. It is a bit of a project car to get fixed up, it has been off the road for a few years and I have it back driving now.

One think I have noticed is that evey so often it seems to stall when I have stopped and shift from drive to reverse (highly annoying while trying to park on busy roads:) ) it seems to happen when the car is warm. Has anyone experienced this before and have any ideas on what to try??

I have cleaned the icv and the MAF sensors but the issue still seems to be there.

I was thinking it could be low transmission fluid and needs a top up? As it also seems to hunt revs a bit when driving at say 30mph with the engine under low load

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers
Loz

Stalling when warm could be the crank position sensor.
My 3.4 (manual) did this and a new sensor fixed it.

omigod said:
Stalling when warm could be the crank position sensor.
My 3.4 (manual) did this and a new sensor fixed it.

could also be the MAF - i had this on my car and Porsche fitted a new MAF - all OK afterwards

Cheers guys, I will look into the crank sensor. I did take the MAF out and it looked brand new/super clean but I have no records of it being changed so might b worth a punt on a new one anyway

You can buy really cheap MAF's off ebay now for about £15 but the issues they can cause have been well documented.
When I bought my 3.4 it had a very shiny and new (but totally unbranded) MAF fitted so I swapped it for a proper Bosch one and it did run better at low RPM's.

Worth cleaning the throttle butterfly too. you have to douse the ICV in carb cleaner, you should be able to hear it clicking if you shake it about otherwise it will still jam.

Does it start straight away when it stalls, if not it could be the variocam solenoid or actuator, this is a big Job so hopefully it's not that

The Baron3 said:
Does it start straight away when it stalls, if not it could be the variocam solenoid or actuator, this is a big Job so hopefully it's not that

Yeah I shift it I to park and it starts no issues

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back