Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S questions from a newbie

muckyman

Hi all,
recently bought a 996 C4S and the tinkering/adjusting has begun.
I have a few questions though before I start in on trying to dismantle some little bits and hope some of you kind folk can help...

1. I have a glovebox rattle which I strongly suspect is coming from inside the latch. Naturally, I want to fix this, but how do you get into it? On the inside of the lid I can see lots of little 'bumps' covered by the felt like material. Are these screws / torx / pop rivets that all need to be undone to get access?

2. I have the non Bose PCM1 which is causing me some issues. The version I have has the CD multi changer in the frunk, then the interior goes (from top) air vent / cup holder / double din head unit / nav disc drive / heater controls.
Several issues with this as follows
- the buttons on the left and right on the double din don't illuminate with car lights on.
- the head unit tells me no CD is present even though I've put two in the changer (and made sure they're the right way up).
- the nav doesn't work. The drive wirrs away but it gives me the dreaded 'disc upside down' error.
Is there anything simple I can do to fix any of these before starting to rip things out? (maybe a reset or fuses to check?)

Lastly, assuming the head unit is just buggered are there any recommendations anyone can give as a 'cheap' replacement. I would want it to be plug and play, with no soldering or splicing of wires - just a few electrical blocks to undo and reattach. My must haves include bluetooth and USB, and I need to retain the cupholder and don't want anything 'blingy', more in keeping with the underatated nature of the interior as it currently is.

Many thanks for taking the time to read all that, and I appreciate any help or advice you can give
Michael

You'll get some personal replies to your queries but in the meantime if you enter some of the key words used in your queries into the 'Search Forum' function at the top right of the screen you'll get a list of threads in which these topics have been discussed before.

depends what you define as cheap. Decent Pioneer double din unit is £320 ish. I fitted a Kenwood as its got wireless carplay and that was around £500. With a new amp/new speakers and fitting it cost me £950.

Or really cheap Xtrons unit around £145. But you still need fibre converter or replace with new amp etc. Either way the 6 disc changer is redundant.

Or PCCM+

If you're non-BOSE then that makes things easier and there are plenty of options for replacement up to the Porsche official part for £1500 or so.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...-infotainment-systems-classic-cars-20622.html

Obviously that represents the top of the market and isn't great VFM but if you want the easiest replacement that's it.

I'd suggest doing a search for PCM replacement on 996's and 986's as they are fundamentally the same car on the inside and it broadens you search results.

Realistically the sweet spot is probably a decent aftermarket brand (Pioneer/Kenwood/Sony/etc) plus a bit of trim and an adaptor cable. All very doable for the home gamer.

Keeping hold of the old HU for the next owner would seem to be a wise move as some may want total originality but even when fully functioning the usability is not great.

I find a single DIN unit with bluetooth and a phone holder does for me very nicely and reduces the distraction of a large LCD screen when driving at night which is something to bear in mind. It also allows the lower console to be removed which frees up leg room and gives the interior a nicer (to some) classic 911 look.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back