Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 PCM upgrade Options

Has anyone actually had the Porsche PCM fitted?

That's my preference, or just leave it as it is.

I recently had an NM Automotive system fitted at Friends Green and they were fitting PCM+ units to gen 1’s at the same time.

The Porsche System is as you would expect, on point and high end.
The NM is very clunky and the resolution is bottom of a beer glass stuff but then with a second gen the options are limited to say the least

Has anyone actually had the Porsche PCM fitted?

That's my preference, or just leave it as it is.

Yes. It’s expensive but in my opinion worth every penny as it looks completely OEM and matches the finish of the existing fascia panel with the HVAC buttons perfectly.

You can also access trip details as others have mentioned as well as retain steering wheel functions (as some aftermarket units can also do too I think).

Not many pictures of these online so here is mine.

It was circa £1.5k supplied and fitted.ACDD4671-979E-4071-B93B-E5F80C6AE4CD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just been quoted the following by OPC South Lakes.

Unit Cost £ 1183.32
Media Card £ 112.50
Labour £ 250.00
VAT £ 309.16
Total £ 1854.98

If anyone can better this, I'd be interested to hear...

Unit Cost £ 1183.32
Media Card £ 112.50
Labour £ 250.00
VAT £ 309.16
Total £ 1854.98

Check eBay. I got mine brand new from Porsche Centre Nottingham called them up and asked for a discount for £100 off and they sent me an invoice. Think mine was £1200 inc VAT.

The DA360 is the better version of the one you like. my understanding is that if you book a fitting through halfords they fit them, including the fascia and connect2 loom, effectively at a loss. Lots have traveled down to a halfords down south (farnborough pops into my head?) for the fitter there who is experienced in the 997s supposedly.

Not a recommendation, just what I’ve read.

After some research I might go for the Alpine iLX-705D. It's Wireless CarPlay and it has 2x USB ports which gives me options:
- Wireless CarPlay while charging phone + usb stick with mp3s​
- Wireless CarPlay + usb stick with mp3s + passenger charging phone​
and most likely a reverse cam as well.

I've got mine booked in next month to have the Porsche PCCM+ with reversing camera fitted. I've also picked up some new heater knobs as mine are worn away, but for a 17 year old car you can't expect them to be perfect. Thankfully the rest of the interior is mint and this new system with SAT NAV too will just make it a more enjoyable weekend driver. All fitted, just over £2k but worth it I think.

I recently swapped the Chinese android unit out for the pioneer 360 with the fascia and bose & wheel control wiring kit - a pretty simple install and really happy with it. It was almost totally plug and play apart from having to move the ignition live over in the harness

Unit Cost £ 1183.32
Media Card £ 112.50
Labour £ 250.00
VAT £ 309.16
Total £ 1854.98

it's still a lot for what is a unit that is the same size just with a matching surround

but i still see the appeal :geek:
Aliexpress need to up their game and software tech !

1709506314224.png

it's still a lot for what is a unit that is the same size just with a matching surround

but i still see the appeal :geek:
Aliexpress need to up their game and software tech !

View attachment 97929
I agree, and I'm not especially inclined to pay close to £2k for the Porsche unit. What's the unit in your pic? Looks good.

I agree, and I'm not especially inclined to pay close to £2k for the Porsche unit. What's the unit in your pic? Looks good.
There’s absolutely loads of info on these units on all the usual forums if you search ‘“porsche 986/987/997 chinese head unit forum”. Some good experiences some not so good..

Spec and subsequent price is very dependent on whether you just want to link the unit up with android auto or CarPlay or whether you want to fine tune and tweak everything to use it independent from your phone.

In this case more Ram and more GB of memory would be advised.

I would say 8 core / 4GB Ram 6GB memory as a minimum will give you a very responsive experience with little or no lag if you going to use it as intended.

Being on the android unit it’s highly customisable and if you don’t mind a bit of tweaking and tinkering you can get a very acceptable OEM style look for less than ££200 to £300.

The PCCM plus is based on much much older tech now but obviously the architecture of the user experience has been fine tuned ..

There’s absolutely loads of info on these units on all the usual forums if you search ‘“porsche 986/987/997 chinese head unit forum”. Some good experiences some not so good..

Spec and subsequent price is very dependent on whether you just want to link the unit up with android auto or CarPlay or whether you want to fine tune and tweak everything to use it independent from your phone.

In this case more Ram and more GB of memory would be advised.

I would say 8 core / 4GB Ram 6GB memory as a minimum will give you a very responsive experience with little or no lag if you going to use it as intended.

Being on the android unit it’s highly customisable and if you don’t mind a bit of tweaking and tinkering you can get a very acceptable OEM style look for less than ££200 to £300.

Yes. It’s expensive but in my opinion worth every penny as it looks completely OEM and matches the finish of the existing fascia panel with the HVAC buttons perfectly.

You can also access trip details as others have mentioned as well as retain steering wheel functions (as some aftermarket units can also do too I think).

Not many pictures of these online so here is mine.

It was circa £1.5k supplied and fitted.View attachment 97778
Out of interest, how many DAB+ stations do you have on your PCCM+? Picked my car up from FGP yesterday but it only lists 8 DAB stations. Like yours I have the 4 BBC stations, a couple of Classic stations and then Magic and Heart. Spent all evening trying to see if I could find Heart 80's but the same 8 stations are the only ones appearing in the list, even when I manually tune, it only appears to show these 8 stations :(

After some research I might go for the Alpine iLX-705D. It's Wireless CarPlay and it has 2x USB ports which gives me options:
- Wireless CarPlay while charging phone + usb stick with mp3s​
- Wireless CarPlay + usb stick with mp3s + passenger charging phone​
and most likely a reverse cam as well.
This is what I’ll probably be doing to. Do share any deals, and let me know expected costs involved if you don’t mind.

I’d happily jump in a deal for two if available.

The one place I very casually enquired at, wouldn’t do the reverse cam as they were nervous about cable routing.

Out of interest, how many DAB+ stations do you have on your PCCM+? Picked my car up from FGP yesterday but it only lists 8 DAB stations. Like yours I have the 4 BBC stations, a couple of Classic stations and then Magic and Heart. Spent all evening trying to see if I could find Heart 80's but the same 8 stations are the only ones appearing in the list, even when I manually tune, it only appears to show these 8 stations :(
Jumped in the car this morning to see if the PCCM+ has found any more stations and now I'm down to just 4 stations available. Anyone else having issues with a lack of DAB stations being picked up with their PCCM+ install?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back