Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 prices

jonttt said:
I still think as prices rise on these cars condition can be less important.

I would have thought the exact opposite would be the case . . .!
:bandit:

jonttt said:
I still think as prices rise on these cars condition can be less important. It's more about rareness and mileage as throwing £10k plus at a car is much less of an issue therefore WB will retain the premium.

So does this mean you don't have to polish a turd and get away with it :dont know:

I've seen many cars with low miles that look knackered against higher mileage top maintained examples. Just taking the car round the corner for its annual MOT whilst preserving the mileage can't be doing the components much good :what:

I think there's a myth that every car has a base level of value, irrespective of condition. Two cars side by side can be vastly different in condition, yet close in offered price. The cost of bringing car A up to the standard of car B is way more than most budget for. The cliché 'buy the best you can afford' has never been more true as bills on 993s can spiral now, far more than in previous years. Indeed, an indie was telling me last week that maintaining these cars now is no longer much cheaper than Ferrari ownership.

So if car A is a 4S with no end of work needed, why would anyone want it if car B, also a 4S is available for just a little more. And by extension, what is the base level value for car A?

I can see the logic for WB cars carrying a premium over NB cars. Leaving personal preferences aside, the more limited the build numbers, the more the market's want factor.

As said in Highway's posting above, parts seem to get more and more expensive. Porsche UK seem to have woken up to the appreciating prices of their classics, and now price parts accordingly. Parts prices have seen hyper inflation in the last 5 years, and don't seem to be slowing down any time soon.

What constitutes a 'minter' is in the eye of a beholder. Likely, most people on this forum will maintain their cars well. But people draw the line in vastly different places and trying to make these cars 'as new' is an act of the heart, not the head. Mileage is not the differentiator it was when condition of these cars is compared. I've seen scruffy low milers, and mint higher milers.

An MOT inspection doesn't scratch the surface really.

Really like this colour on the 993.

IMG_4123-large.jpg

FS at Paul Stephens for £75k. Sounds a nice car too although my personal preference would be without the empty Turbo wing even if it is the prettiest aero kit Porsche have ever done.

'The Carrera S models were launched for the 1996 model year and featured the powerful 285bhp Varioram engine, wide body of the Turbo model together with a lowered chassis which gave them a very aggressive stance.

The 993 C2S is arguably the most desirable of the normally aspirated 993's with its driving experience more pure than the C4S. This is due to it weighing 25kg less allowing it to be marginally quicker over a standing kilometre, nimbler on the road and features lighter steering that gives a more communicative feel at the helm. The original 911 was rear engined and rear wheel drive with a manual gearbox, so it is fitting for this Porsche to stay true to its heritage by being the last air cooled version produced in a specification as originally intended."

Regarding rarity and prices- Jaguar made over 70,000 E Types and you don't see any of those being sold cheap as chips these days.

I believe there were only about 270 varioram manual coupe 993 UK cars -
Same with 964's- ie: lots of unpopular spec cars about but seldom the bang on desirable manual coupes.

I agree with Jonttt's earlier post- 993's are about the drive- modern cars just don't compete.

carkid said:
Regarding rarity and prices- Jaguar made over 70,000 E Types and you don't see any of those being sold cheap as chips these days.

Is that not because the are only a few left due to poor build quality, cheap metal and UK Car building quality control that had Stevie Wonder and Roy Orbison on the inspection team? In addition most are the motoring equivalent of Trigger's broom with more replacement parts than original.

They look great admittedly but are better admired from a distance as they, like the AM DB5, drive shiote :thumb:

ive never been a jaguar fan, e type too much at the back like a bread van, my dad had jags, swore by them, always breaking down, rust buckets that make a 911 appear bullet proof. :nooo:

he bought one a few years back, it was quite new, its literally peanuts now, he prefers his shogun, jag never gets used, shogun never breaks down.

Zingari said:
Is that not because the are only a few left due to poor build quality, cheap metal and UK Car building quality control that had Stevie Wonder and Roy Orbison on the inspection team? In addition most are the motoring equivalent of Trigger's broom with more replacement parts than original.

They look great admittedly but are better admired from a distance as they, like the AM DB5, drive shiote :thumb:

Yup, on the money there Zingers!
My uncle ( a well known Pembrokeshire dentist, aka Dai Tooth) bought a brand new E type around 1964, said it was the very worst car he'd ever driven! Downright dangerous he called it. He went on to chop it in for a Daimler Dart SP250, which he said was one of the nicest. He chopped that in for a 911S around 1967. He also rallied a Steyr Puch TR650 at that time. As an aside he also put a 365 engine (I believe it may have been a Carrera) in the back of a Beetle and fitted (for reasons unknown to me) a transporter gearbox onto it.
Dead now, but as mad as a hatter!
:lol:

Dead now, but as mad as a hatter

Ah ...... that explains a lot ....... :floor:

madalaa said:
Dead now, but as mad as a hatter

Ah ...... that explains a lot ....... :floor:
Harsh . . . but fair!
:thumb:

It's the mercury.

...... nice ...... but not priceless ....... :floor:

........ and for me from that angle the arse end quarter just looks wrong ...... :dont know:

:?:

No no no, its just gorgeous :grin:

You know its all about the narrow body, though. Perfection (excuse the evening lighting!)

Attachments

• img_2456_736.jpg
    img_2456_736.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,352

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back