Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 GTS unusually loud turbo noise (video)

Carlos93

Bought my first Porsche! 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS - Carmine Red with a 7spd manual box (image attached). Couldn't be more thrilled apart a few strange metallic rattles from the rear, but more importantly, an intermittent extremely loud turbo 'whoosh' sound.

I have attached a video link below to illustrate the issue, but I would also note that 1) on the first few hard pulls the sound is normal with no whoosh 2) after the first few pulls, or more enthusiastic driving, the 'whoosh' starts 3) the car drives normally 4) seems to pull the same in either case. 5) the 'whoosh' sound is much louder than the video suggests!

https://youtu.be/a-APwiBq0VQ

Perhaps a hose is loose?

This issue started when I was on a dual carriageway with several roundabouts, and accelerating hard from low to medium high revs out of each roundabout in third gear.

Have sent a video to the OPC I bought the car off a few days ago.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, I couldn't find a thread that described this specific turbo issue!

Best,
Ollie

Attachments

• img_6668_636.jpeg
    img_6668_636.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 625
Best take it back to the OPC. Not heard this before.
Nice car by the way :thumb:

Thank you! The OPC are collecting / I am dropping it back with the OPC on Wednesday.

It's very odd, sounds like Need for Speed...

Will keep the diagnosis and solution posted on here.

Hey!

My car had exactly the same issue! Loud woosh sound when pressure builds up on the turbo and you let go of the throttle. Same exact sound. It's a 991.2S.

It was a loose hose on the turbo due to a mistake of OPC during a service. Was fixed free of charge.

Mine seems to be fine during the first few full throttle pulls, but then starts making the sounds (really loud!).

Thanks for the info. Is there any potential for other components to get damaged as a result?

I am dropping my car tomorrow morning (couple of rattles and a broken seat latch being looked at too).

In mine you would need to get the boost up to hear it, so you would only notice it from 3rd gear pulls upwards. On 2nd gear you couldn't notice it because the engine doesn't need to boost as much.

Even though I did not noticed it, there was a power drop, the car still pulled hard but once fixed, I noticed an increase in the car's urge to rev.

There was no damage caused to the car and once fixed it has been working fine ever since.

Sorted. Diagnosis was a loose hose, fixed by OPC under warranty. Easy job. Car driving well.

Carlos93 said:
Sorted. Diagnosis was a loose hose, fixed by OPC under warranty. Easy job. Car driving well.
Great! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back