Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Poor Audio in Bose 991.2

Boatmancalls

I recently bought my first 911 (2018 GTS Carrera 4). Absolutely love the car but massively disappointed with the audio quality. My last 3 cars have been BMW’s (430D, 530e; M4 comp) with Harmon Kardon stereo’s ….so nothing hugely fancy, but light years ahead of the Bose system in my GTS.
A couple of questions:
  1. Is this a known issue….
  2. what do people do to improve the sound?
I really want to keep OEM look and would love to hear from people that have resolved this
Many thanks

img_6424-jpeg.95445

Attachments

• IMG_6424.jpeg
    IMG_6424.jpeg
    1,020.1 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_6008.jpeg
    IMG_6008.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Bose is not worth it unfortunately! I always went for sound package plus instead .
Burmeister is good but again I am unable to justify the cost while spec’ng it unless one is a audiophile.🧐

Count yourself, lucky you haven’t ended up with the basic audio which is just appalling.

You can, actually if you’re lucky enough to find the parts, upgrade some of the speakers, the tweeters and the amp with the Burmeister units

Noting the Burmeister have different grills

I have Bose, and prefer it over Burmeister that I had in my 991.1 GTS.

I assume you have played around with the settings as there are Bose features that can be turned on/off.

The settings also need to be applied for each device (Cd, USB, DAB, Jukebox etc) as they are not system wide.

Congrats on the new car! I feel the same with the Bose in my GTS so interested in speaker upgrade options for this too.

I recently bought my first 911 (2018 GTS Carrera 4). Absolutely love the car but massively disappointed with the audio quality. My last 3 cars have been BMW’s (430D, 530e; M4 comp) with Harmon Kardon stereo’s ….so nothing hugely fancy, but light years ahead of the Bose system in my GTS.
A couple of questions:
I really want to keep OEM look and would love to hear from people that have resolved this
Many thanks

img_6424-jpeg.95445

First of all, congratulations on the car - looks lovely (y)

Regarding sound quality, I have the Bose sound system in mine and was also very underwhelmed, in comparison to previous systems. Granted, it's a noisy car anyway (with tyre roar etc) but if you play with the adjustments for each source, then you can improve on the weak stock settings.

If you want to take things further AND want an OEM install, have a word with https://www.scrdistribution.co.uk who provide a range of speaker upgrade options and have manufactured suitable mounting hardware, to make it a plug'n'play install.

I have Bose, and prefer it over Burmeister that I had in my 991.1 GTS.

I assume you have played around with the settings as there are Bose features that can be turned on/off.

The settings also need to be applied for each device (Cd, USB, DAB, Jukebox etc) as they are not system wide.
I have thanks …and switching some stuff off seems to improve things a bit. Appreciated

First of all, congratulations on the car - looks lovely (y)

Regarding sound quality, I have the Bose sound system in mine and was also very underwhelmed, in comparison to previous systems. Granted, it's a noisy car anyway (with tyre roar etc) but if you play with the adjustments for each source, then you can improve on the weak stock settings.

If you want to take things further AND want an OEM install, have a word with https://www.scrdistribution.co.uk who provide a range of speaker upgrade options and have manufactured suitable mounting hardware, to make it a plug'n'play install.
Thanks for this … will have a look.

A couple of questions:
Many thanks

img_6424-jpeg.95445

Hi, did you resolve the limp sound system?
Much like you, I love the car but the sound in mine is so comically poor in comparison to my M4, I’m starting to think it might be faulty as surely it can’t be this bad in a car that cost £115k new?

The only thing that concerns me is if any work carried out will void the Porsche warranty I have?

Hi
I haven’t yet but am still planning to …. Will update when I have. I wouldn't worry about warranty as they could only reasonably void audio system issues

Congrats on the car, lovely colour (As is Kirklees new car) I have a 992 gts with Bose (991.1 prior to this) and I’m going down the route of having the doors and rear quarters sound deadened to, hopefully, improve the sound quality and also solve an annoying rattle issue that I’ve had in the passenger door from day 1!
I’ll let you know if it helps!

Thanks … I have the same rattle … fingers crossed for us both 😊
The rattle is most likely just a loose plastic cover on the door jam, where the wiring passes through. It's a pretty common issue on the 991. I removed the cover and lined the hole with a little insulating / gaffer tape (the cover should hide the tape), then just refit the cover. Should be a 2 minute job.

I’ve had BOSE in a 987. It was light years ahead of the comically poor sound package. I’ve also had the HK audio in both 4 series and Mini. Not as good as Bose in a Porsche. Dynaudio in a Golf is pretty good as well.
Some criticise Bose and being bass heavy, but you can dial that back. Sounds like a settings issue to me.

The solution for me with the Bose in the 991.2 was to replace the tweeters. That made a works of difference. My hearing is not great and the interior of the GTS is loud enough that trying make theatre quality sound would be a fools errand.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back