Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

111 point check prior to purchase - or not?

JonnyG

Silverstone
I'm viewing a 2016 991.2 Targa 4S next week with a view to agreeing a purchase. It's a private sale with 2 years of a 3 year Porsche Approved Car Warranty remaining. All the paperwork looks good and it genuinely looks and sounds to be a well looked after and loved car. Viewing will of course confirm or deny. Given a FPSH (all on time) and the warranty would you still advise having a 111 check or vehicle inspection?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks :thumbs:

I wouldn't bother unless the car was high miles.

Thanks Magic919. The car has around 29k on the clock and all the services and MOTs add up.

Call me a sceptic, but unless you are buying with pocket money, I would go for the 111 point check...

Anything can happen to any car from the last time it was inspected/serviced at an OPC..? Perhaps worth considering the cost of the checks and whatever Insurance they provide to YOU against the outlay of the purchase..?

Good luck in your decision making.. :thumb:

On warranty so don't bother !
If there are no advisories on MOT history , it should be okay :thumb:

Slayer, I am in no way looking to argue, (especially with that chosen forum I.D.) :grin:

I thought it perhaps worth mentioning that I have had a couple of 111 point checks carried out, and they covered areas likely NOT to be covered by Porsches extended warranty, and which could be rather expensive to repair/replace..

If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't bother with having further mechanical checks. Maybe just get a HPI check for peace of mind and visually inspect any wear and tear parts, which could be a negotiation point.

Good luck with your purchase! :thumb:

Luddite said:
Slayer, I am in no way looking to argue, (especially with that chosen forum I.D.) :grin:

I thought it perhaps worth mentioning that I have had a couple of 111 point checks carried out, and they covered areas likely NOT to be covered by Porsches extended warranty, and which could be rather expensive to repair/replace..

I can guarantee my personality is nothing like my forum ID :grin:

Very pleased to read that Slayer.. :)

Tony, the 111 point check covers much more than a mechanical check, even chips in paintwork and wheels should be picked up.. Cost of a new wheel or even a wheel refurb..?

My 991 was subjected to a BMW pre sale check of more than 111 points, which was then followed up with an OPC series of complimentary checks, which found that the tyre goo was out of date.. Circa £100.

The 111 point check highlighted that there was an issue with the alarm siren, and the replacement of that was circa £300... I would have been £400 down had those checks not been carried out on a 42k mile car that had a full service history.

Luddite said:
Tony, the 111 point check covers much more than a mechanical check, even chips in paintwork and wheels should be picked up.. Cost of a new wheel or even a wheel refurb..?

My 991 was subjected to a BMW pre sale check of more than 111 points, which was then followed up with an OPC series of complimentary checks, which found that the tyre goo was out of date.. Circa £100.

The 111 point check highlighted that there was an issue with the alarm siren, and the replacement of that was circa £300... I would have been £400 down had those checks not been carried out on a 42k mile car that had a full service history.

As I said, it's just what I would do given the situation and model of 911.

I appreciate that you saved a few hundred quid on your purchase (although I am surprised to hear that the alarm system is not covered by the warranty), but I don't think you have factored in the private sale element here :?:

If we took a conservative estimate of £3,000 dealer premium, then actually I would argue that the OP would be making a considerable saving, even if some minor repairs are required. As always, buyer beware!

Is it Sapphire blue? Looks stunning if it's the one I'm looking at :mrgreen:

I did an OPC check on mine (2014 991 with 55k miles - distance purchase) because the warranty had lapsed (just to check they would cover it), just threw up rear discs/pads which the dealer replaced. It will give a condition report but they focus on corrosion rather than the odd stone chip. That mileage suggests you should be on new tyres which the pics I'm looking at suggest they are - but I could be looking at a completely different car. Possible the discs are original but they've done well if they are.

Always a good sign that the owner has taken out a long warranty - suggests (to me at least) that the smaller stuff is always kept on top of and not a bother financially. It's a big outlay so in the grand scheme of things a good PPI is not a big cost if there's any doubt.

Look forward to the pics :)

Thanks everyone, as expected there are 2 viewpoints.

Ottootto, yes it's Sapphire Blue, 2 owners and the current owner originally bought a 3 year warranty. Everything to date has been positive which is quite refreshing given the eventual disappointment I had recently when seriously considering a similar car. It was a SOR car without a Porsche warranty so I had a 111 check so that I could add a warranty if I bought it. Unfortunately the check raised a few concerns so I pulled out. No pressure from the garage near Silverstone in fact they were a pleasure to deal with.

Long and short of it I think I'll ask for a 111 check and maybe the seller will go halves, if not, given the possible total outlay it's a small price to pay.

Have an inspection,
30,000 miles could mean set of discs?
tyre wear to inner edges, you probably won't get your trousers dirty looking

Air con condensors on 991 split on the top corners
its £210? for a 111 check

Thanks Mark, great to have insider knowledge 👍

Just had a quote from Porsche East London, 111 point health check £396 inc VAT! Some price hike or I'm just out of touch!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back