Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Independent or 111 point Inspection

Bens911

Hi guys

I'm looking at buying a 991.2 GTS through an official Porsche dealer. Would you still recommend having an independent inspection or is the 111 check and extended 2 year warranty enough to not need an independent inspection?

Thanks, Ben

This situation is one of the few that would mean a PPI isn't necessary. Save the money and spend it on petrol. (y)

Come back with photos when you've picked her up.

ps. Welcome to 911uk

Hi guys

I'm looking at buying a 991.2 GTS through an official Porsche dealer. Would you still recommend having an independent inspection or is the 111 check and extended 2 year warranty enough to not need an independent inspection?

Thanks, Ben
that should be enough, however OPC standards are not always the same

make sure they confirm brake disc and pad thickness, as well as the tyre ages (should not be more than 5 years)
visually check the paintwork and interior for any issues

Make sure none of the tyres have been puncture 'plug' repaired

I guess buying from an OPC, Ideally it would be the one nearest you and perhaps not at the other end of the country as that could complicate matters if or when you you had issues...?

I bought my 991 remotely from a BMW dealership almost three years ago now, that the dealership was part of the same group as my local OPC, provided some degree of confidence that should I have any nuisance issues I could have them resolved locally. That I insisted that the sale process was carried out via email, and acknowledged as a remote sale, provided another degree of confidence... On delivery there were slight issues, which as hoped my local OPC assisted in identifying and resolving via a complimentary check, had my OPC not been in the same group of franchises I suspect that process might have been less simple..?

My 991 came with a 6 month BMW warranty, sold under the BMW approved pre owned car scheme having been subjected to their 135 point checklist, their warranty was Insurance based and and covered up to a max of £4k for any one claim.. which on a Porsche is about as comfortable as a fig leaf at a black tie evening event...? After three months of ownership and paying my OPC to re-service my 991, I then paid for them to provide the Porsche 111point check, after which I paid out circa £3k to be accepted on to the Porsche (Insurance based) extended warranty scheme for three years.....All in all perhaps not the ideal way to buy a Porsche, but so far it has worked for me, more so when I had an indication that required the replacement of a few COV`s (Change over Valves) which was carried out at no cost to me (other than inconvenience) thanks to the extended warranty cover I had in place..

Hope my ramble might assist in some way and that you find just the right Porsche for you Ben.... (y)

Some are reasonably thorough with prep etc but others are not! I would just make sure the cosmetic side of things are okay and also you can look at the 111 point check report in addition. Anything technically major would be covered by warranty any way.

I guess buying from an OPC, Ideally it would be the one nearest you and perhaps not at the other end of the country as that could complicate matters if or when you you had issues...?

I bought my 991 remotely from a BMW dealership almost three years ago now, that the dealership was part of the same group as my local OPC, provided some degree of confidence that should I have any nuisance issues I could have them resolved locally. That I insisted that the sale process was carried out via email, and acknowledged as a remote sale, provided another degree of confidence... On delivery there were slight issues, which as hoped my local OPC assisted in identifying and resolving via a complimentary check, had my OPC not been in the same group of franchises I suspect that process might have been less simple..?

My 991 came with a 6 month BMW warranty, sold under the BMW approved pre owned car scheme having been subjected to their 135 point checklist, their warranty was Insurance based and and covered up to a max of £4k for any one claim.. which on a Porsche is about as comfortable as a fig leaf at a black tie evening event...? After three months of ownership and paying my OPC to re-service my 991, I then paid for them to provide the Porsche 111point check, after which I paid out circa £3k to be accepted on to the Porsche (Insurance based) extended warranty scheme for three years.....All in all perhaps not the ideal way to buy a Porsche, but so far it has worked for me, more so when I had an indication that required the replacement of a few COV`s (Change over Valves) which was carried out at no cost to me (other than inconvenience) thanks to the extended warranty cover I had in place..

Hope my ramble might assist in some way and that you find just the right Porsche for you Ben.... (y)
Thanks very much for your reply.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know that you might have read my ramble Bens911.. (y)

hiya @Luddite nothing wrong with that approach, you have a warranty, makes sense to use it and only then when it's time move to the Porsche product

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back