Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

P911 what to look for when buying ----

-- 911 --

Hi guys, just sold my BMW Alpina and now looking to jump on the Porsche Wagon! looking to get the 996 either the last model before the facelift or the facelift, can i ask what should i look out for when buying one.

Cheers

J

Hiya. I'm not being funny and I'm sure that you will get some guidance from the excellent people on here but your first post in early June said that you were thinking of getting a 911.

Since then you've had ample time to research the hundreds of posts on this forum that would help you.

As they say on Dragons Den ............

"For that reason, I'm out"

:judge:

Picking a 996

Im a recent newbie myself,but for what its worth I suggest base 1 is pick your model/combi--Coupe,convertible,targa
Manual,tip
2wd,4wd
Turbo,gt etc
I would personally discount turbo etc as a first 911 as the standard powered is pretty awesome for a first 911,and it gives you something to aspire to later.When these decisions have been made you have the choice of buying private,indy or OPC.
I'll leave the more technical minded on this board to advise you on seals springs and sprockets etc.
Just one thing though on transmission-if using it every day in slow moving traffic I would consider a tip.-otherwise I would go for a manual every time.
Happy hunting!

Thanks for asking the question. That is the mechanism for information exchange.

I guess undergrads still ask questions just before their finals, in fact we should never stop asking questions of the world.

But enough philosophising, you are looking for condition, condition, condition.

And if you don't know what that looks like, get a PPI.

We can't choose the car for you, so tell us your feelings on cab/coupe , bodykits, colours, expected use, erm BUDGET!

Is this the reason you choose the change-over models (ie last 996.1, first 996.2)?

Having said that, ask a stupid question and be prepared to be mercilessly ribbed.

You choose a Porsche with your heart and your head, so tell us what you want and need.

Re: Picking a 996

Allan R said:
Im a recent newbie myself,but for what its worth I suggest base 1 is pick your model/combi--Coupe,convertible,targa
Manual,tip
2wd,4wd
Turbo,gt etc
I would personally discount turbo etc as a first 911 as the standard powered is pretty awesome for a first 911,and it gives you something to aspire to later.When these decisions have been made you have the choice of buying private,indy or OPC.
I'll leave the more technical minded on this board to advise you on seals springs and sprockets etc.
Just one thing though on transmission-if using it every day in slow moving traffic I would consider a tip.-otherwise I would go for a manual every time.
Happy hunting!

Exactly as said. There are so many combos of 996 models and variations that you really do need to start from a top-down approach. You also need to read the threads opened up by the 'undergrads' as phrased by GT4 and do a little research else I might advise you to go for a basic C2 or even a C4S (what's that you may ask?) while someone else will say go for a Turbo S Tip S Cabriolet S Hardtop S (and what is that you may also be asking).

If you're confused (and you should be) then why not post up some sample models in this thread and we can tell you if it's good/bad/ugly etc?

Good luck in the search otherwise - it's half of the fun.

~ Maxie :thumb:

Hi,
Just (2 weekends ago) got my hands on a 996.
I have been looking for the last four months finally found a Carrera 4 GT3 body kit in Zanzibar Red the beauty was ten years old and only 39,000 miles.
All I wanted was the GT3 kitted one so kept my options open.
I would say research the look you like and keep an open mind to what's out there. I found mine in Cardiff some two and a half hours drive away and not quite the colour I was after, however the milage swung the balance.
I got the chasis number off the none Porsche dealer and checked what the spec was with my local Official Porsche Dealer, also got them to write a release letter to Porsche Cardiff to give me the history on the car. They thought it was all a bit of a faff but if they want money they have to work at it right? History and proving it key, don't just except a stamped Service Book you need proof proof proof.....you'll never sell it again with out a paper trail/provenance.
Good luck with the search...all I can say is if you listened to all the HORROR STORIES you would never buy any Porsche ever :puh:

911... I would summarise as follows:
Budget £10K - £15K will get you a pre face lift 996. These are the lightest, the C2 (2 wheel drive) would be my favourite as 4 wd seems to negate the whole joy of the 911 (think about a wide rear track where all the weight and power lives with a front end that simple points where that fat rear end goes!). However if driving dynamics are not so important then don't exclude the 4WD - slower (as heavier) with a number feel to the steering, consumes a bit more fuel and wears the tyes (front & rear) more evenly. People say they are more sure footed but if you think about your driving (looking at surfaces, reading the road etc., as an experienced motorcyclist might) you won't need or want the 4wd (or for that matter the optional PSM traction control). Manual or tiptronic? The tip is a wonderful auto box; it will adapt to your driving style and loses only a small amount of performance. 0-62mph is 6 sec (compared with 5.2 for the manual C2) but I think most of this is the initial take up of drive. The torque converter locks up very early and remains locked in manual mode - i.e. you can floor the throttle at 1000 rpm with no slip (or kick down for that matter). I bought a manual but would equally have considered a tip if one came along in the right condition. FYI front tyres on a manual C2 last forever, rears about 10,000 miles max with mixed driving. Fuel consumption around 25 - 27mpg.
If you have around £20K you can consider the gen II 996; main differences is a 3.6 litre version of the engine (315hp), extra weight and revamped looks, most obvious are the shaped front lights. The gen II feels a bit more lively in acceleration (0-62mph 5.0sec) but also feels heavier and a little bit duller to steer - not in a way that would put you off the car but less like an Elise erring towards the 4wd genI 996. You also have the same options of 4wd and tip versus manual. Choice is down to taste.
Last to think about (and IMO to disregard) is the dolls house C4S. These overpriced wide bodied version of the gen II 996 are based on the 996 turbo (which delivers 440hp), are 4wd and comparitively heavy. They share the exact same engine/transmissions of the other gen II 996's but are very wide, have the (expensive) brakes of the turbo and, consequently, are slower than a standard bodied 996. So, the C4S looks like a turbo without the rear wheel air intake cheeks but is actually slower than its standard genII version... they also drink a bit more fuel. Think about cladding a perfectly nice brick house in cotswold stone!
As you drove an Alpine I don't think that the convertible or Targa would appeal (heavy, slow, not so nimble).
Things to check/regular issues: corroded radiators (behind lower front bumper), tired suspension (worn dampers, wishbones, ball joints), tired clutch (may last as little as 40K but can last as per normal car), uneven tyre wear (suspension adjustments are easily made), low mileage cars (40K) rarely suffer cylinder lining issues, intermediate shaft can rarely expire, rear main seal can sweat oil - not an issue, change with clutch. Coil packs can crack and cause midfu=ire.
I can recommend 996 ownership - they take a while to learn to drive properly but are intoxicating cars!! Finding the right one is the main task - there are some tired old cars out there whose owners think are worth the same as the carefully looked after version that you need to find. Good luck.

Just for balance on the C2 vs C4 front, which personally, I understand I can't do donuts or powerslide (unless it is a full four-wheel drift), but oh my can you cross-country in it. AtoB there is no substitute for an AWD Porsche.

This is Autocar's inaugral review of the 996 C4 back in October 1998:

4 SURE - 911 Carrera 4

• All wheel drive doesn't just give Porsche's newest 911 extra stability and safety - it also boosts driver involvement. Peter Robinson reports.
Your fingers convey the information the instant you turn the wheel. The steering is heavier, meatier, less sensitive. Not much, but enough of a difference to be immediately discernible to hands acquainted with the rear-drive Carrera.

The distinctions grew the longer we played with the Carrera 4 on the wonderfully demanding roads surrounding Porsche's Weissach proving ground. A bit more steering lock, a sense of mild understeer in a second-gear hairpin. Extra steering effort as increasing lateral forces amplify steering loads through a fourth-gear sweeper. A fraction less self-centring. Finally - and prepare for the ongoing arguments - a perception that this steering is actually more involving than that of the Carrera 2.
It takes no more than a couple of corners to fall in love with the C4. It's a normal 911, only better. More stable, especially at the high speeds the Carrera so quickly attains, less nervous in strong crosswinds, and even more consistent in its dynamics. At first it seems slightly less agile, because wheel movements are bigger, but experience reveals that its handling is actually more neutral, less oversteery.

Experimentation with the PSM reveals that the C4 responds to a smooth driving style and minimises the need for driver reactions, making it more relaxing to drive than the C2, not least a very high speeds on the autobahn.
All the driver understands is that the nose is less prone to pushing wide. The engine management system is set up so that if you lift off suddenly in a bend, a degree of torque is maintained to smooth out the weight transfer and reduce the car's reactions. It all makes for a supercar that is as failsafe as any, yet remains fun to drive quickly, the electronics doing their job so unobtrusive that most drivers won't even notice, unless they attack corners with arms flailing. Even then, it's effectively impossible to throw the C4 off balance, though not even the C4 can defy the laws of physics.
The choice between C2 and C4 remains as complex as ever. The C4 is undoubtedly the more talented car, exuding an invincible air that many will find irresistible.

Welcome to 911uk - :bye:

By the way the 50kg C4 weight "penalty" brings the weight distribution to 40:60 rather than 38:62 and represent 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

So an empty C4 is actually lighter than full tanked C2.

0-60 (if that matters to you) is identical on C2 and C4 thanks to the off-the-line traction.

As the tyre wear evenly, this may actually end up being cheaper to replace all four over the same period you replace two sets of rears.

Ref 996.1 and 996.2 (gen 1 and 2, if you like):

996.1 Power to weight = 227.4 PS/tonne
996.2 Power to weight =237.5 PS/tonne

996.1 0-62mph = 5.20s (4.6s 0-60mph)
996.2 0-62 = 5.00s

996.1 Top Speed = 174 mph
996.2 Top Speeds = 177 mph

However, get an X51

996.1 Power to weight = 242.4 PS/tonne
996.2 Power to weight =256.5 PS/tonne

996.1 0-62mph = 5.00s (4.4s 0-60mph)
996.2 0-62 = 4.80s

996.1 Top Speed = 179 mph
996.2 Top Speeds = 181 mph

GT4
I could not have put it better myself........
Carrera 4 all the way they just feel so planted..

By the way thank you for the advice regarding my Aircon. The noise would not happed at the weekend after as you pointed out about the snowflake button. After putting it on and off half a dozen times or so the noise went.
It will return I am sure....looked at the condensors at the front and they look like new....me thinks it maybe down to lack of us.....here's hoping :?:

Check when it was last re-gased and whether that included compressor oil.

The correct refrigerant oil volume is 195 ml.

Read this twice and agree with all the content
Need to add, buy silver it's the most popular colour for one reason only. A 996 looks the dogs in this colour and so wrong in many of the others available.

doulas bader said:
911... I would summarise as follows:
Budget £10K - £15K will get you a pre face lift 996. These are the lightest, the C2 (2 wheel drive) would be my favourite as 4 wd seems to negate the whole joy of the 911 (think about a wide rear track where all the weight and power lives with a front end that simple points where that fat rear end goes!). However if driving dynamics are not so important then don't exclude the 4WD - slower (as heavier) with a number feel to the steering, consumes a bit more fuel and wears the tyes (front & rear) more evenly. People say they are more sure footed but if you think about your driving (looking at surfaces, reading the road etc., as an experienced motorcyclist might) you won't need or want the 4wd (or for that matter the optional PSM traction control). Manual or tiptronic? The tip is a wonderful auto box; it will adapt to your driving style and loses only a small amount of performance. 0-62mph is 6 sec (compared with 5.2 for the manual C2) but I think most of this is the initial take up of drive. The torque converter locks up very early and remains locked in manual mode - i.e. you can floor the throttle at 1000 rpm with no slip (or kick down for that matter). I bought a manual but would equally have considered a tip if one came along in the right condition. FYI front tyres on a manual C2 last forever, rears about 10,000 miles max with mixed driving. Fuel consumption around 25 - 27mpg.
If you have around £20K you can consider the gen II 996; main differences is a 3.6 litre version of the engine (315hp), extra weight and revamped looks, most obvious are the shaped front lights. The gen II feels a bit more lively in acceleration (0-62mph 5.0sec) but also feels heavier and a little bit duller to steer - not in a way that would put you off the car but less like an Elise erring towards the 4wd genI 996. You also have the same options of 4wd and tip versus manual. Choice is down to taste.
Last to think about (and IMO to disregard) is the dolls house C4S. These overpriced wide bodied version of the gen II 996 are based on the 996 turbo (which delivers 440hp), are 4wd and comparitively heavy. They share the exact same engine/transmissions of the other gen II 996's but are very wide, have the (expensive) brakes of the turbo and, consequently, are slower than a standard bodied 996. So, the C4S looks like a turbo without the rear wheel air intake cheeks but is actually slower than its standard genII version... they also drink a bit more fuel. Think about cladding a perfectly nice brick house in cotswold stone!
As you drove an Alpine I don't think that the convertible or Targa would appeal (heavy, slow, not so nimble).
Things to check/regular issues: corroded radiators (behind lower front bumper), tired suspension (worn dampers, wishbones, ball joints), tired clutch (may last as little as 40K but can last as per normal car), uneven tyre wear (suspension adjustments are easily made), low mileage cars (40K) rarely suffer cylinder lining issues, intermediate shaft can rarely expire, rear main seal can sweat oil - not an issue, change with clutch. Coil packs can crack and cause midfu=ire.
I can recommend 996 ownership - they take a while to learn to drive properly but are intoxicating cars!! Finding the right one is the main task - there are some tired old cars out there whose owners think are worth the same as the carefully looked after version that you need to find. Good luck.

The C4S has always been the most desirable model in the 996.2 range

I found the performance difference with the regular C2 barely noticeable

GT4 said:
996.1 0-62mph = 5.20s (4.6s 0-60mph)
996.2 0-62 = 5.00s

However, get an X51
996.1 0-62mph = 5.00s (4.4s 0-60mph)
996.2 0-62 = 4.80s

Are those figures correct? They suggest it takes 0.6s to get from 60 to 62 mph, however that wouldn't require a change up from second to third, can it really take that long? I should know better than to doubt you, GT4, but it doesn't look quite right... :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back