Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

LSD

ReDBull

Silverstone
Recently the clutch has failed on my 98 3.4 C2. I've decided that I will be fitting a SMF and uprated clutch. Later in the year (for peace of mind) I'm hoping to have the engine rebuild as I'm over the 100k miles barrier.
I'm just wondering if I should take the plunge and fit a LSD while the gearbox is out? I've spoken to Ben at Rennspeed who is working on my car. He said the car would have much better traction but would be more of a handful.
I've had LSD fitted to FWD cars and loved them. But I have no experience on RWD cars.
What are people's thoughts and experiences?

It's not quite the same justification though, an LSD on the front helps prevent torque steer, and also helps put the power down through a set of tyres also responsible for steering.

RWD doesn't care about either of those.

It does care about putting maximum power down/traction, but have you felt one or other side of your RWD spinning up and losing traction in normal (your) usage?*

Are you tracking the car?

*My first check on frequent power-bleed, particularly if biased to one side, during normal usage would be shocks before LSD

You don't need your gearbox off to do the diff. Can be easily done in situ. Don't think you can fit an LSD on the 996.1 as the abs/traction system isn't programmed to handle it. I'd be checking up on that 1st.

M220 40% LSD can be applied to an Non-PSM car.

That's actually most 996 (excludes AWD models)

All 996.1 C2s are Non-PSM as standard

So OP......if you have no PSM you're good to go :thumb:

Porsche did in fact offer from MY2004 onwards a PSM compliant low-locking 22% LSD option

GT4 said:
It's not quite the same justification though, an LSD on the front helps prevent torque steer, and also helps put the power down through a set of tyres also responsible for steering.

RWD doesn't care about either of those.

It does care about putting maximum power down/traction, but have you felt one or other side of your RWD spinning up and losing traction in normal (your) usage?*

Are you tracking the car?

*My first check on frequent power-bleed, particularly if biased to one side, during normal usage would be shocks before LSD

For me an LSD is a must of a performance Fwd car. No I haven't had any traction issues since I had the Ohlins RT fitted and set up at Centre of gravity. I also had a suspension refresh at the time.
I plan on keep my car long term and I will take it on track days. How many I'm not sure. I also want to go on a driver training course to learn how to drive it properly! I bought the 911 purely for fun and only drive it when I'm in the mood. My thinking with the LSD was to future prove my project but also to add a bit more drama. If the gearbox does not need to be removed. I'll probably put it off until after I've had the engine rebuilt.
I just wondered what these cars drive like with the riffs fitted and what people's experiences are?
:thumb: :thumb:

I have an LSD on my 996 as a factory fit option. I can't say I have ever noticed it on the road and I have never had it on track. However, with 104K miles it might be worn out as well...

I do have a 964 which I recently had fitted with an LSD and I definitely noticed that on track and it is supposed to assist with lift off oversteer I believe in 911's but on a 996 I think you really have to be 'on it' for that to even be a consideration on the road.

I have a 996 LSD for sale if you decide you want one, PM.

The 996 3.4 is the ideal version for an LSD upgrade and you will notice the difference on the road, even for menial tasks of just coming out of a junction, if used for track days and road trips you will also notice it.
As Alex says you can swap the diff with the gearbox in situ.

stanuk964996 said:
I have an LSD on my 996 as a factory fit option. I can't say I have ever noticed it on the road and I have never had it on track. However, with 104K miles it might be worn out as well...

I do have a 964 which I recently had fitted with an LSD and I definitely noticed that on track and it is supposed to assist with lift off oversteer I believe in 911's but on a 996 I think you really have to be 'on it' for that to even be a consideration on the road.

They do wear out and become expensive paperweights

Much like shoes :wink:

I meant they are expensive paperweights if left in the rear axle doing nothing useful!

Has anyone had any experience of the Quaife or Wavetrac ATB's? Particularly on track? I understand that they are not LSD thus am interested in user feedback.

How do they interact with PSM?

Also interested in that, I've been pondering whether to get a wavetrac for my 996.2

I've been pondering this as well for a 997.1 c2s.

In both my old Cayman S and 993 2s I felt like I spun up the wheels at times when I was coming out of tight turns hard, not a huge problem but noticeable.

I don't fully understand the difference but doesn't a Quaife only help on acceleration but does nothing under braking ?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back