Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 clear rear lights opinions

Shaoxter

Imola
One of my rear lights has a bit of condensation in it (quite normal apparently) :roll:

I could just get a straight replacement but there's also the clear lights option, what do people think?

Attachments

• bx10hlx_3_194.jpg
    bx10hlx_3_194.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 4,764
  • clear1_134.jpg
    clear1_134.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 4,764
  • dsc_2804_741.jpg
    dsc_2804_741.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 4,764
Personally I think the lights you have look a lot better than those on the Turbo.

Personally I'm not a fan of those extra white ones. I much prefer the standard ones. Up to you in the end though!

Clear ones are horrid and will mist up aswell.

So just sort the vents on the one you have and save a fortune and have a better looking car.

Shaoxter said:
One of my rear lights has a bit of condensation in it (quite normal apparently) :roll:

I could just get a straight replacement but there's also the clear lights option, what do people think?

Standard look better mate

:eek:

I'm stunned, my opinion is aligned with the majority!?

Normally this site is full of tarts who like to bling to the max. :D

Bonners1 said:
Personally I think the lights you have look a lot better than those on the Turbo.

+1 agree :thumb:

Well a pretty unanimous verdict then, and to be honest I prefer the standard look too. But one standard rear light is £520 whereas the clear ones on the tequipment site is £960 fitted :?:

GT4 said:
So just sort the vents on the one you have and save a fortune and have a better looking car.
Got a link for this?

I agree on this occasion, despite being a bit of a bling tart the original lights on the 997.2 look best . :grin:

Shaoxter said:
Well a pretty unanimous verdict then, and to be honest I prefer the standard look too. But one standard rear light is £520 whereas the clear ones on the tequipment site is £960 fitted :?:

GT4 said:
Got a link for this?

There are two main problems with the LED tail lamps:

1) They run cool (nothing you can do about this)
2) They are inadequately vented (no air flow)

The first point is due to the efficient LED bulbs, on a halogen set up even as litle as 10 mins on tail lamp use will warm the lamps above ambient and evaporate and high moisture air (and this desiccation process is iterative - ie used often enough, the air inside will get drier and drier).

The second is the lamps are still designed as if they vent hot moist air from a halogen setup, and hence the vents are high.

The actual solution is two fold: low and through flow.

The high level vents not only are useless to liquid water escape, but they allow no through flow (think of a closed plastic water bottle you make a single small hole anywhere - top or bottom - the water basically goes nowhere until you have a pair: lower to release liquid, upper to allow in gas)

So firstly check the OEM rubber vent tubes and the vents themselves are clear, then (with the lamps off the car), carefully drill a 1-3mm hole at each lowest corner - ie lowest moulding points left and right of the lamp midpoint.

Although you must do this off the car, remember to take account of the orientation/lean the lamps have when fitted when you ascertain the lowest point (no gain from drilling holes in what appears to be lowest when they are sitting on your kitchen worktop, only to find that it isn't the lowest point when the lamps are actually in place)

Use some "stop" or collar on the drill bit so you only drill through the 1-2mm ish plastic - NOT into the guts of the lamp!

Now the condensed water can escape.

GT4 ,I assume the same theory and solution applies to the aftermarket gen2 look a like LEDs for the gen 1 :thumb: which also suffer the same issue .

Phil 997 said:
GT4 ,I assume the same theory and solution applies to the aftermarket gen2 look a like LEDs for the gen 1 :thumb: which also suffer the same issue .

Well, both are governed by the same laws of physics:

1) thermodynamics (or lack of)
2) gravity

What it isn't, is rocket science!

GT4 said:
Phil 997 said:

Well, both are governed by the same laws of physics:

1) thermodynamics (or lack of)
2) gravity

What it isn't, is rocket science!

Thanks, will get a couple of holes drilled :thumb: great tip thanks :grin:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster