Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

tyre pressures on 18s query

ChrisT70

Albert Park
I've had the car a month or so and finally got round to browsing the owners manual to find out how the bloody vents and ac system work :) been too busy driving and working lol!
Decided to check the recommended tyre pressures as it likes to tramline a bit and wanders on fast bumpy roads. Was suprised to see the oe pressures stated at 36front and 44 rear. Mine were set at 30 front and 38 ish rear. I will be bumping them up obviously but i assume people are running oe pressures? Tyres are pirelli p zero with decent tread left. Suprised i suppose at the quite high rear setting but then again it has a lot of rear weight over it.

I was advised to run 36 fronts but 40 rear by Center of Gravity for fast road setup, as a compromise of wear vs performance.....18 inch Michelin PS2s.

Can't help with the pressure, sorry. This week I've changed from a set of 18" Turbo Look solid wheels with worn/old tyres to 18" Turbo hollow wheels with new MPS2's. They were pre-inflated to correct pressure by Chris at Exel wheels. My car wandered/tram-lined like hell on the old set but is just lovely on the new ones. I guess what I'm saying is that you will be able to sort the issue out, somehow.

Some bright spark will be along in a minute to tell you how- so don't despair! Alternativel, if you email Chris at Exel ([email protected]) I'm sure he'll answer the pressure question.

Good luck.

I run 36 f 40 r as Riviera Bob suggested.
I was running pirelli p zeros and found 44 on the rears not only made the car skittish but wore the center line of the tyre much faster than the shoulders
Dropping to 40 evened out the tread wear perfectly across the tyre and improve the handling

36 front and 40 rear definitely much better thanks. Much improved.

Chris put 36f 44r in mine yesterday at CoG, though I personally prefer 42r.

I have to say he has transformed my car from a very nervous handling thing to am absolute joy to drive. I also realised the importance of getting geo correct on these cars .

....... geo and suspension are all important ........ depending on various wheel sizes/tyres etc........ and it's something that needs to be done every couple of years ....... I am due now ...... oh joy ..... ;)

17's use 36 psi all round if you are using the standard size tyres.
When I had 18's on my car I found 40-42 psi on the rears worked best.

Nimrod said:
Chris put 36f 44r in mine yesterday at CoG, though I personally prefer 42r.

I have to say he has transformed my car from a very nervous handling thing to am absolute joy to drive. I also realised the importance of getting geo correct on these cars .

Ditto. Transformed car (I was with him yesterday).

All the geo setup was done at 36/44 and Chris recommends always running these pressures for high speed work (road use). He also gave me some 'optional' pressures of 32/40 - though Pete who was also there had said to me earlier in the day I could use 34/40 (he mentioned always 40 on the rear, but you can try different pressures up front and see what you like.

I suspect the tyre pressure advice Chris gives is specific to the car and setup the customer has asked for (ie comfort or sporting bias). My car has 18" hollow spoke and H&R lowered springs and dampers, with ride height set to RS+10mm (it could have been set up with a higher ride height if I wanted to prioritise a magic carpet ride and didn't mind the 4x4 look). Every car is a bit different, and cars of this age also carry component wear and tear (within certain allowable tolerances), and so the range of possible adjustment is affected.

Bottom line, go see Chris and Pete at some point. Well worth it.

After the setup I drove home (150 miles) and forgot I was on the standard 36/44 pressures. The car feels great, and drives so much better now. Not crashy at all, though this is subjective and I'm comparing with a previously jittery and busy drive which now feels totally different. So I guess I will experiment and see if lower pressures take the edge off the handling.

36/40 worked pretty well the other day no real issues or tyres rolling or chewibg up. Was deffo too low previously.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back