Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Booked my first airfield / track day......GULP

Guys,

ive taken the plunge and booked my first trackday, Elvington airfield open pit-lane. Its apparently great for novices, loads of run-off etc and its very local to me, so i'm going to have a few trips down to have a look and chat to people.

Has an anyone done Elvington before? Can anyone give me any general guidance on how to approach my first day?

I'd appreciate your thoughts

ta
Chris

Hi Chris, as a track day regular my first ever track day was at Elvington and it really is ideal for your first track day. It does not give you that 'circuit' feel as it is a coned track but it has miles of run off.

I was worried before i went that the cones would not make sense but it is a great layout with fast and slow corners.

The biggest downside for me was that it absolutely eats tyres. I had a brand new set of goodyear Eagle F1 tyres fitted to a Nissan Pulsar and it put them down to 2mm by the end of the day!!!!!!!!

Enjoy yourself and my only advice would be to have good rests/breaks when you want. Open pitlane sometimes makes you want to get loads and loads of track time but its amazing how quick you get tired, both physically and mentally.

Thanks MM, your advice regarding having rests is exactly what I intend to do. I want to ease my car into it, as well as myself and can imagine that it does take it out of you, especially being a first-timer. Overall, Elvington is sounding ideal for what I want. My mates are taking their Jag F-Type and Audi RS4 too, so it'll be interesting to see how they all compare.

Be prepared to get hooked😀

If they offer instruction from an ARDS qualified instructor then take it. It'll offer more benefit than any modification you could make to a car.

Check you have plenty of meat on your tyres and brakes at the start of the day. Take a small bottle of oil with you. Do warm up laps and cool down laps for the benefit you the engine and brakes. Check you fluids often. Keep an eye on the fuel gauge. Pay attention to the briefing and rules. Keep an eye in you mirror for cars wanting to get past. Even if it's a less powerful car you might learn something from following them.

Just be pragmatic and sensible and the enjoyment will follow.

mightymetro said:
The biggest downside for me was that it absolutely eats tyres. I had a brand new set of goodyear Eagle F1 tyres fitted to a Nissan Pulsar and it put them down to 2mm by the end of the day!!!!!!!!

I suspect this will be down to you accelerating out of corners that had the rough concrete surface, with 4WD of the Pulsar you'll be using up traction on all four tyres on a rough surface and killing your tyres.

I experienced something very similar in my old Evo at RAF Odiham.

It shouldn't be as bad on the front tyres on a (2WD) 911 and you can limit it by only going full throttle when you've got very little or no steering lock on.

Listen to the briefing, watch your mirrors, drive at your own pace!

I started in 1999, it's addictive! :thumb:

hey, thanks for your replies guys, i'm really looking forward to it! i have also noted that there is a track day section on this site, its really useful and answers a lot of questions that a novice like myself woud ask.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowrick
Back