Seat Mountings

Seagull

Estoril
Just in case any of you haven't read my post on PCGB or Rennlist about this, here's a word of warning.

I was taking my seats out the other day ready to get them refurbished and I spotted a potential horror story. :shock:

The outer, rear mount for the drivers seat has completely broken up, so I hate to think what would happen in the event of an accident. the mount is a small turret spot welded onto a sub-frame which is, in turn, spot welded to the floor. It has a bar with 2 tappings for the seat mount, captive under it. It won't be a major job to have a new one fabricated which is a good thing because apparantly, the replacement sub-frame is 300 Euro and on back order.

It only takes 30 mins to remove and re-fit the seat and all you need is a 6mm allen key, so I would urge you to check yours - since posting this on PCGB, I have heard of 4 other instances.

RS, Cups and RS America IIRC, but the frame is the same for all models so it is entirely possible it could have happened to a C2 or C4 as well. Also, it hasn't happened only on the driver's side, Mel had the passenger side go in his.

For an hours work, I think it would be worth people checking just for the peace of mind. I wouldn't have thought about it if I hadn't been taking the seats out anyway - the only symptoms I can think about was a sort of creaking sound.

mine was ok, although my offside seat, front tunnel side was similar...

Thanks for the heads up Stewart. I was wondering if it was anything to do with RS and cups having no underseal compared to our lardy C2 and C4s but I guess this is rust from the inside so it could happen to all 964s. I shall check mine in due course.

Steve, it's not a rust issue, it's just that the part isn't up to the repeated strain it has because the metal is about as thick as the paint on a '70s Datsun.

My old C2 had this issue, but nowhere near as bad as yours. I find it amazing that Porsche used such a puny little mounting point for something which could potentially need to take quite significant loads, especially in an accident.

Jamie

PS I like your harness mounting bracket - is that a Brey Krause one ?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more...