removing wart (sports chrono pod)

I am pretty sure when I removed mine I just got a plastic trim removal tool under the edge of the sport chrono and levered it out. I don't remember removing any air vents.
I had mine carbon dipped. It was all pretty straightforward.
Go on - have a go....

Blimey Stu your getting into all the PITA trim bits mate firstly as Rob says you may be able to remove the wart from the top with a trim tool but James said for the extra few mins removing the vent its not worth the risk of damaging your dash leather .

ok now the spears . these are plastic welded on and when removed the welded tabs break off , in the past this had meant they were no good ,so we had to buy new boxter ones as those were the cheapest but we have now found that by attaching the correct size self locking washer on whats left of the tabs that break off you can safely refit the door spears with no issue

see the pic for what I mean by self locking washers

hope that helps mate

Attachments

• internal_serrated_lock_washers_din6798_in_a2_489.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 7,040
  • img_1502_100.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 7,040
  • img_1847_261.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 7,040
  • img_1848_199.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 7,040
  • img_2642_647.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 7,040
I also removed my door "spears" to get them carbon dipped.
As Phi says you have to remove the door panel and they are plastic welded in.
I carefully drillled through the plastic weld and into the back of the post - basically doing as little damage as possible.
When I refitted them I put some silicon on the parts that connect together and then pumped quite a lot of hot glue into the holes where in most cases the plastic post was either poking through or just beneath the surface of the door card.
This is all on the back of the door card so you won't ever see it - it just needs to be secure.
Mine have been fine.

The later (991/981 etc.) clocks also tell the time and impress passengers with a sweeping reset on start up. :dont know: Not heard of anyone retrofitting though.

Cheers guys, I've purchased 2 complete black door cards so intend to swap out my red 'spears" and other bits, pull handles, door bin lids, etc.
Bit puzzled as to how to drill out the plastic welded fixings?
Rob - any advice on size of drill you used to drill out? Thought about trying to use my 'Dremel" to grind away the outside diameter of the button so to speak but if drilling's the way forward I'll do that?
Yes Phil, a lot of this is your fault and EBay for tempting me with the black parts 😁

:floor: :floor: Stu, how are you getting on removing the wart sussed it yet. :thumb:

It's detailed in my ownership thread which is below. 7mm from memory.
Be careful - you need to drill out the bare minimum because you need as much post left as you can.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=87976&start=40

Rob, cheers, just sent you PM before saw reply, 7mm must be only drill size I haven't got! Must get one.

Oh it's been a busy few days, managed to carefully remove door spears and swap them out and a few other bits of door furniture and break up the Red on the doors. Here's a before and after but not installed hence switches,door handle missing, and armrest trim not clipped in properly. Will take more when all installed. I'm liking it :thumb:
Also got the Wart out and re finished it also, just levered it out at each side with plastic trim tool protecting dash leather with credit card to lever off. Relief! Coming together now.

Attachments

• b492943d_db15_4f3b_8051_3941823f593a_114.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 2,159
  • c1c2aae2_4d8f_4339_9119_bc06e0446f3c_874.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 2,159
Stu , really likeing what you have done so far mate, that two tone looks so much better . look foreward to seeing more pics as it comes together

Here's the wart pod and side speaker grills refinished in black. (Taken picture underneath of fixings for anyone else trying removed this)

Attachments

• 485883af_21c8_42ba_a761_1e9bb0b44d7f_135.jpeg
    548.3 KB · Views: 2,142
More

Attachments

• b70b5a8f_6b5f_4e75_83bb_ebeb59e39d6c_984.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 2,138
And

Attachments

• be526782_d3b8_48c6_9ee4_0b10db6b8db1_252.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 2,136
very nice mate :thumb: :thumb:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more...