1st track day oil question

simonsti

Trainee
I'm doing my 1st trackday at Anglesey tomorrow in my 6tt and was wondering what oil level is ok. I checked last night and it was bang on half way, I know it's bad to be too full but is this enough?

Absolutely fine. Enjoy!

simonsti said:
I'm doing my 1st trackday at Anglesey tomorrow in my 6tt and was wondering what oil level is ok. I checked last night and it was bang on half way, I know it's bad to be too full but is this enough?

Hi Simon, will be at Anglesey tomorrow in the same car. I always run mine at max or 1 bar down, just puts more oil in the system to absorb the heat. If it is ever over-filled you will be in trouble though.....

See you tomorrow, silver 996T

Mike

I personally wouldn't run it at full. Oil can get warmer when running on track which causes the density of the oil to drop resulting in a larger volume of oil in the system.

As for the argument of having more oil making it act like a heat sink, I'm not sure how much effect it will have when at operating temperature, although I do agree it would take the oil a little longer to reach operating temperature in the beginning.

Run it this way for5 years with no ill effects. Definitely a no go to over fill though. I figure that Porsche have tested the Mezger thoroughly so would advise if it was a bad idea to run full. Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong though, every day is a school day!

Thanks for the replies, I'll probably stick a bit more in just to be on the safe side.
I'll look out for you Mike. :thumb:

I thought for tracking you want to run at max to avoid starvation issues under cornering and braking. I think right hand turns are a particular 996 issue?

Actually, I run at max all the time anyway

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more...