Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Leaking Power steering rack pipes (now replaced with saga).

wasz

The hard transfer lines on my steering rack went pop last night. They have been on my list to do for a long time....now they've been forced.

I ordered these for £36.75 delivered to replace:

https://tinyurl.com/y9vl9q3s

911%20boxster%201-228x175.jpg

Looking on his Facebook, they also make up soft - hard lines, so could be an option for other expensive bits of 996 power steering pipework:

https://www.facebook.com/powersteeringstore/

PS you know that low pressure return pipe that everybody puts a jubilee clip on the split crimp from the NSF wheel arch?

Well go have look at the other end of it - middle front above anti roll bar, you can just about see it. That end also had a split crimp on mine. Mine was making a bid for freedom, however the leak was from the crusty hard lines on the rack.

You need to drop the ARB which involves removing 10 bolts. The bolt holes you see here are for the front of the crossbraces.

uixbjW1.jpg

Well what a saga it was replacing these.

The splined end of the steering column is covered in a plastic coating.

When the rack was dropped down off the column to fit the pipes, this plastic coating fell off. Without the plastic there is play on the splines.

The early 996 has a one piece column from rack to wheel, later columns you can unbolt the lower part with the spline and UJ without disrupting the column.

So the whole steering column had to be replaced AARGH.

Column is over £1000 from Porsche. Lucky the column is shared with the Boxster and there are millions of these being broken. £50 for a low mileage column with intact plastic spline and some time to disassemble the interior.

Nice design Porsche :thumb: :frustrated:

Yikes!

Lucky we share common architecture, then :thumb:

EGTE said:
Yikes!

Lucky we share common architecture, then :thumb:

Yes i think the fact so many Boxsters were sold is the reason the 996 is so affordable to run. So many used parts and aftermarket (e.g. suspension arms) wouldn't be around without the boxster.

Lifesaver

I had lent my 996 C2 to my Daughter and the steering went pop a few miles form home.

On investigation this morning the pipe had rusted through at the elbow. Found this thread and talked to the very nice Richard at PSS and new pipes will be out this week.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing this info.

Cheers
Spart

Is there anything else worth replacing whilst these are being changed?

I've just joined this club... one of the transfer pipes started leaking a week or so ago. They actually looked in decent condition compared to most I've seen but one started going around the union to the rack. I had to leave the pressure and return lines alone as they've been bodged in the past, this made it v difficult to get the transfer lines off in situ! Used the pipes linked to here, gave them a coat of epoxy primer before fitting. 997 rack on its way later to fix it properly.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back