Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MOT 6 month extensions end on 31st July.

T8

Super Moderator
The DfT have announced that if your MOT is due the requirement to have your car tested has been extended for 6 months.

NB: Cars are still expected to be kept in a roadworthy condition and, at the moment, garage servicing and MOT stations are still allowed to be open.

THREAD TITLE UPDATED 03/07/20

Good info but it's not law until approved on Monday, something about implications on Insurance etc.. Had my daily booked in for Mot tomorrow (mot due 12/4) so freed slots for others.

All a mute point. my fun cars now sorn'd as current situation is going to last a lot longer than anyone is hoping. Stay safe all.

Im keeping all the cars fully road legal so I can flee the zombies... :saw:

With you there ....... I am keeping both my cars fully tanked ....... and I have just had both of them MOT'd in the last few months .......

I have a few cars not MOT'd. I wouldn't go out for drives for fun, but do use them when I need to drive to work. I assume after Monday getting an MOT will be harder, but if I get them done tomorrow or Saturday I get an extra 6 months free?
MOT station is about 100m from my house.

MC

No I don't think you get an extra 6 months free if you MOT before the end of March (from memory the exemption comes into play on the 1st April ?).......I think the principle is :

- if your MOT is due before x date (1st April ?) then you must still get it done...

- if your MOT is due between xxxx and xxxx (six months 1st April to 30 Sep) then you don't need to get it done until the 1st October.....

I must have got something wrong in that as there would be ......quite a few cars.....all needed MOTing on the 1st Oct :eek: .......it makes more sense that whatever date your MOT is due on between say 1st April and 30 Sept then you ADD 6 months to that date to give you the extended due date for that car eg MOT due on 1st June then the new due date is 1st December :dont know:

Ps I've obviously not bothered actually looking at the proposal in any great detail other than a 6 month extension and trying to think how that would work in practice as above :?:

If that was the case, in the future, MOT places would have 6 months of double work, 6 months with no work.

MC

six months of no work yes but the cars not done in that six months would have a new due date.....ie

if due 1st June 2020 --> new due date 1st December 2020......next due date would then be 1st Dec 2021 so no double workload in that sense :bandit:

.....but then you could argue no cars would be due an MOT between xxx and xxxx the following year .......I think I see what you mean now

They are in effect gearing up to close MOT stations for 6 months :?: and the impact may be that in practice

I have two cars needing MOT the 944 failed on a minor oil leak over 10 days ago so now I need to find somewhere to get it tested again, just waiting for an oil seal to be delivered to sort that out and the 996 has been sat for over 6 months and it expired in December, I only need to fit the gearbox to get it road ready for an MOT.

Both are not available for the 6 month extension, I don't mind keeping them off the road for longer but it would be annoying if they shut the MOT stations for a long while as these are jobs I can do while I'm not at work.

Use your ability to wait, or to continue doing something despite difficulties.

Far larger issue to consider me thinks.

997 Coast said:

:hand: tinkering with cars aids mental health....fact :thumb:

jonttt said:
997 Coast said:

:hand: tinkering with cars aids mental health....fact :thumb:

I'm not sure, my mental health was tested today refitting the gearbox, it is in and I just need to fit all the ancillaries to the car/box. Then I can head out for its first drive......$!@%#

Wasn't the point to allow some time to finish planned mot tests before the inevitable phase 2 tighter lockdown. But allow those after 30th March a reasonably long window to stop people panicking and going out to get an MoT done during phase 2 lockdown with enough of a window for a reduced lockdown level when things improve as well? If situation remains just move the 6 month end point.

Obviously they forgot most appear to have immediately thought 'great a 6 month free extension, I'll max that until the last day..."

The 6 month extension ends at the end of July.

Any car due an MOT between 1st April and 31st July still has 6 months from the original due date to be done but cars due an MOT on or after 1st August will need to renew before the expiry date.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back