Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Piston Slap

Ja99a

I'm wondering when an engine exhibits piston slap, can the engine be rebored and appropriate piston / ring combination sought?

What is the problem with this approach?

The engine in question 3.4 M96 996

Cheers

Yes, the cylinders can be relined and any scoring to the piston repaired, or replaced.

The problem is the cost; for an average '99 3.4, the cost will be approx 70% of the value of the car as the engine needs to be dismantled and rebuilt so there are usually other things to do at the same time.

Have a look on the Hartech website for lots of great info.

Well my question was old school I suppose in that I am asking why a rebore isn't possible instead of fitting replacement liners.

What I mean is can 1mm be machined from the cylinders and oversize pistons sought / commissioned?>

Is it a coating of some kind that is lost?

The OEM running surface (locasil) isn't that deep and its cast into the liners when the block is made. You can clearly see the layer depth when you strip the engine and I would say it's circa 5mm no doubt thicker before is first machined.

But the work involved to this point is such that there would be no benefit to making this sort of repair and it would be only marginally more expensive to have the engine completely modified so bore score (not necessarily piston slap - two different things) won't happen again.

Ja99a said:
Well my question was old school I suppose in that I am asking why a rebore isn't possible instead of fitting replacement liners.

What I mean is can 1mm be machined from the cylinders and oversize pistons sought / commissioned?>

Is it a coating of some kind that is lost?

Sorry, I misunderstood your q.

Harv's covered it, but also just re-machining would not solve one of the problems which is cylinder ovalisation. The advantage of relining/closing the deck is that the problem should not re-occur.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batman100
Back