Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

White sludge in oil filer cap and neck...Im a bit worried

chrisneill

Recently replaced both rads on my 911 4s (02 plate).

Today i have checked the coolant level to ensure it has not dropped due to air, and I have noticed white sludge on the inside of the oil filler cap and also in the oil filler neck.

Does this mean that the Head Gasket is on its way out or is this normal on the 911?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Also, a very novice question, but I am covered under warranty for the cylinder head gasket. Assume this is the same head gasket i am referring to?

Should i be taking any precautions?

Thanks
Chris

Are you doing a lot of short journeys? When the weather is cold it might just be condensation in the filler tube causing the problem. Any oily film on top of the coolant?

MC

Mayo like substance in the oil filler is common and nothing to worry about, down to the cold weather and moisture in filler neck - loads of posts on this if you do a search.

Different story if it's in your coolant reservoir!

911MDN said:
Mayo like substance in the oil filler is common and nothing to worry about, down to the cold weather and moisture in filler neck - loads of posts on this if you do a search.

Different story if it's in your coolant reservoir!

Yep if it's smeg like and in above circs nothing to worry about. :thumb:

chrisneill said:
I dont think so but will check.. Journeys most days are about 7 miles each way.

7 miles is not enough, you need to take that car for a well deserved hour long drive a long deserted country roads...

Do a search on here for mayo.

Thanks for comments - I agree that 7 miles is not enough, I just have not been switched on enough with the excuses with MRS yet to make it a reality. And the 'smeg' description - best yet - thought mayo was good, but yours trumped it.

sorry one other question. If oil had got into the coolant, Im assuming that this would be evident in the resevoir as globules? And no this is not a prompt for more accurate descriptiveness!

sorry one other question. If oil had got into the coolant, Im assuming that this would be evident in the resevoir as globules? And no this is not a prompt for more accurate descriptiveness!

Talking from experience, it would be very clear you had oil/water mix. It will be floating like a brown sludge on the coolant. Check YouTube as there are some videos showing the contamination. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back