Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 996?

Peterb1212

:welcome: to 911uk Peter',

The spread of asking prices on 996s is significant. Generally a Gen2 (3.6) car will be dearer to buy than a Gen1 (3.4) but various factors can cause a cross over.

The biggest factor is whether the car is for sale privately or at a dealer. There should be a 20% difference between the two assuming two identical cars. That fact alone is enough to put some people off buying from a dealer but most prefer the perceived peace of mind so are prepared to pay the extra.

After that mileage is key. A car approaching 100k miles will always be worth significantly less than a lower mileage car. Above 100k miles and values tumble.

History, current condition, colour combination and spec' are the final things that affect value. eg. That sand coloured interior is not generally well liked but can lead to bargains being had, especially if you do like it.

Both generations of the car have their fans but again looks can sway people to one over the other.

Good Luck. :thumbs:

I have a silver C4 tiptronic S 3.4 Cabriolet which is also used as a weekend car.

We love the tiptronic, it is very a smooth drive so a good choice unless you are a keen cog swapper.

I was thinking about how to answer the age question and i do not think it matters. Having spent a lifetime restoring british classic cars the issue is rot. Whereas my 1999 car has none. So from a restorers (retired) point of view it is a case of swapping out consumables as required and keeping the interior clean and tidy. Oh yes there is the engine and gearbox issues but that is another story.

I wouldn't let a higher mileage put you off, even 100k miles if serviced and looked after can be a good bargain and ownership experience.

The best thing to do is find a car that seems in good order with lots of maintenance evidence and then get it inspected either by Porsche for approx £250 or someone like Peter Morgan who do inspections down south or similar.

There are know faults in 996 like IMS bearings that would be probably sorted by now, but good for resale to see the evidence.

IMS issues? :eek: :floor: It's BS mate. Higher risk issues than the IMS on any Porsche.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back