Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Where to get hybrid turbos

Tim F said:
Interesting Ken. I'm having 24/26 fitted as one of my turbo's had stopped working and the cost of rebuilding my K24's is about the same as an upgrade. Fearnsport are doing the work with the turbo's being sent off to AET. No offence to yourself in terms of where I took it, my car went wrong a week or two into ownership and I ended up leaving it with Matt (who's also excellent IMHO).

Anyway...
The 24/26 is the same set up as the 700bhp GT2 featured in 911 and Porsche World, where the comment is clearly around them being there for the purposes of minimal lag rather than going for bigger more powerful turbos. The build isn't a cheap one on the featured car and I just can't see that they'd fit substandard kit to a car like this (IMHO of course). So there must be some merit in the 24/26. Is there something I'm missing?

If this is too controversial don't worry about answering!

Minimal lag is achieved through a k16 based turbo. You cannot minimise sufficiently lag in a k24 turbo there is a fundamental design issue. You can reduce it by lighter wheels etc like 18g billets, or other new designs but if you know how to make changes to the k16 you have the best of both worlds.

You can make anything up to 900hp with k16 hybrids them, and anything in between. Way quicker than a VTG turbo as well when matched correctly.

Watch the boost in this video k16 running 700hp. Instant response.

http://youtu.be/91GlLjY9Uco

Ken

Thanks Ken. For now I'm 24/26'ing it due to cost, will see what the lag is like when I get the car back. I must stop spending money haha

The 997 does seem to be a poorer alternative to the 996 when it comes to work like this. :thumb:

Tim F said:
Thanks Ken. For now I'm 24/26'ing it due to cost, will see what the lag is like when I get the car back. I must stop spending money haha

The 997 does seem to be a poorer alternative to the 996 when it comes to work like this. :thumb:
Tim, I am sure you will be happy...it does become additive mind. one of my favourite customer questions is something is wrong with the car..it feels slower than normal. To which 99% of the time the answer is I'm afraid you have got use to that package, ,maybe time to go to the next one :D

I managed about 3000 miles from my first upgrade to my second. I'm hoping this one will keep me happy for longer. It had better do, the next one would be very expensive.

MC

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ken, I will be ringing you this week to pick your brains if that is ok.

I take your point that it would be better to go and buy a proven package. In an ideal world that's what I would do but I like to research each part and accumulate them over time, adding what I can when I can and then getting a map done at the end to finish that phase of the project off.

I understand that this way of doing it is risky in terms of financial and mechanical problems but buying a full package off the shelf, having it put on and then driving off spoils some of the fun for me.

Anyway, I'm going to keep adding to this thread with things to use as a resource for myself and anyone else who may want to go down a similar path. I hope others will contribute to help keep me on the straight and narrow.

First up are the part numbers for the gt2rs intercoolers: 99711064071 and 99711063971

They are available from design 911 for £315ea + vat

It looks like you have to do quite a bit of surgery to the 996 shroud to get them to fit however...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back