Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

When does a GT3 cease to be a GT3?

Roro said:
I thought these all started off as Carrera’s? The 997.1 uses the shell from a C4 so 996 is probably the same? 997.2 onwards are not C4 based, maybe C2. What I’m trying to say is there isn’t really any such thing as a ‘GT3 shell’ is there, they all started out as a Carrera and those selected to become GT3s went off to Weissach for completion

The 996 GT3 uses a different shell to a Carrera 4. Rear engine mount pickup points and the area over the top front of the engine inside the passenger compartment are different. To convert would require cutting and welding.

MC

Interesting debate. Agreed, if you replace the shell then technically and in terms of worth it’s no longer a GT3. But if you take a bare shell and put everything from a GT3 on it then it will be in terms of your experience a GT3.

If you buy said car for a reasonable price then you could have a bargain. When driving the car it won’t affect the experience you have, it not being technically a GT3.

MisterCorn said:
The 996 GT3 uses a different shell to a Carrera 4. Rear engine mount pickup points and the area over the top front of the engine inside the passenger compartment are different. To convert would require cutting and welding.

MC

Good info from Martin, as always.
I was always of the understanding that GT3 shells had several differences to the Carreras. I’ve never looked into it as it doesn’t really interest me.

Anyway, Big hammer it sounds like an interesting find.
I’d say it’s pretty simple.
If you’re doing it to enjoy the journey of the project and then to keep it and enjoy it, then get it bought. :thumb:
You could be left with a pretty special feeling car for sensible-ish money.

If doing it to sell at the end though, then I just wouldn’t bother.
The costs and time involved to do it right would be high. What would it be worth at the end? Probably £40k max. Cat D repaired GT3s will be back down into the high £40k’s now I imagine, with higher mileage straight cars in the £50k’s.

So if it were the latter just get it for a steal and part it out. The parts are getting very expensive as the cars get older and rarer. I watched it happen with 964s years ago.

Good luck acquiring it though. I hope you get it. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back