Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What does your Porsche say about you?

911tom said:
pzero said:
benbuhagiar said:
Thanks all. Lots of good comments and stories.

In summary, I'm buying a Porsche :D

Flash sod!

:floor:

go for it Op!!! Never know you might pick up some clients on here

Thanks mate. That would be nice!

My last boss always said you should never drive a better car than your client's. Which was rich coming from a fat fu ck who rolled around in a chauffeur driven Bentley!

I agree with the sentiment that if my financial guy turned up in a nice car I would think yeah hes doing ok must be doing something right!
And I also feel that when the tradesmen turn up, I get a more expensive quote than before, i had a handy man who did work for us in my old house and I felt he undercharged us, when he came to my new big house with porsche on the drive I felt ripped off by the work that was done! Same with other folk who have been, quotes seem to end up doubling from the amount I was told before they came to the house!
So it will be locked up in the garage soon....
I've wanted a porsche as long as I remember, I wouldnt care what anyone thought about it, so was proud when I could buy one, no regrets, I get plenty of stick about it mind :)

If you care what other people think about what you drive then you're the same as them.

Who's the car for? :?:

Just put talc in your hair like Alex and I and they won't think you're young a flash, they'll just think you're wise and have spent years considering the best fiscal approach to car ownership! :eek:

:eek:ld: my George Clooney tints cost me £40 a month!

Blimey Alex, that's a lot, I just use a handful of Johnson's talc a day and a large container last a month at £5.99!

But I forgot you're more sophisticated in the Ribble Valley! :thumb:

I once tried that and came out looking more Tony Montana.

Attachments

• 200_s_115.gif
    200_s_115.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,963
Scary!! You're supposed to put it in your hair! :eek:

It's a look but not a good one!

OP - back on topic now, sorry for the diversion. :thumb:

Pre Porsche i had some quotes to replaster the back bedroom. With Porsche I had quotes to plaster the front bedroom (as the first guy couldn't do it)

The second quotes were more (the rooms are the same size).

At work everyone has either newish people carriers / hatchbacks or bangers. All the time I get people making comments about the value of my car and how it is to run, even though it was cheaper than theirs to buy, and and will not lose any money and barely costs any more to run as I do my own service.

In 4 years I've had two interactions with members of the public. One made a salt shaker motion at me, and the other said how nice the car is.

My previous car was an azure blue 350z and EVERYONE loved it. Make of that what you will.

I have had a lot of work done at home over the years but the advantage for me is, being an electrician and employing a few guys I know what things cost. The example above is straight forward. How long should the job take? Depends on size but I'd say it is a day for a plasterer and his mate = £250 - £300. Then materials, again depends on size, whether it is just a skim etc, £100.00. Therefore you are looking at about 400 quid +/- 10%. That would be fair in my mind.

With regard to reactions. I have found Porsches get none really. There are too many on the road. People that are really in to cars will come over for a chat but that is about it. My Atom is the other way around, everyone loves it. Can't go anywhere with out people waving and come over for a chat

benbuhagiar said:
Technically it would fit in my single garage but would be a very tight squeeze and not sure I would want to do it everyday or at all.
Any thoughts on this?

Mine only just fits through the garage door (about 2 inches each side) but plenty of room inside. It always goes in there although i don't use it everyday. The extra 2 mins you might need to put it away at night and take it out in the morning is time well spent I think.

As regards your status, I'm generally with the "its good to show your success" camp. Plus like Phil says on page 1 you can definitely use it to your advantage if you think about how it adds value to your offering to clients. Go for it

People will draw all sorts of conclusions from any kind of car you drive. But they'll draw far more meaningful ones about how you conduct your business. I'd argue the latter is ultimately the more important but also the one that's within your control. Doesn't matter what you drive, concentrate on doing as good a job at whatever you do. The rest will take care of itself :thumb:

Nicely put NB :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back