Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 997 this week?

Fitted today my Alex Yates engineering , modified SSK

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=127355

I always wanted an SSK that didnt have the slop and vague gear selection that the SSKs have due to using plastic bushes ,I also always wanted the bolt action gear shift that you get with a GT3 shifter but thats not a short shift . So the best of both worlds was not available UNTIL NOW . Alex has taken a std SSK and reengineered it so it is now better than a GT3 shifter but also offers Short shifting.
Have a read of his build thead as it explains why he didnt use ball bearings and what metals he used to make it superior to the GT3 shifter .

I will be giving it a full test on the trip to Dinslaken but took it for a short run today and can say the shift is bloody lovely short but bolt action and no slop I am going to love this mod. :grin: :grin: :thumb:
He is taking orders so anyone who has found the same as me with either their stock shifter or SSK either OE or aftermarket, this mod is for you :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:

I always wanted an SSK that didnt have the slop and vague gear selection that the SSKs have due to using plastic bushes ,I also always wanted the bolt action gear shift that you get with a GT3 shifter but thats not a short shift . So the best of both worlds was not available UNTIL NOW . Alex has taken a std SSK and reengineered it so it is now better than a GT3 shifter but also offers Short shifting.
Have a read of his build thead as it explains why he didnt use ball bearings and what metals he used to make it superior to the GT3 shifter .

I will be giving it a full test on the trip to Dinslaken but took it for a short run today and can say the shift is bloody lovely short but bolt action and no slop I am going to love this mod. :grin: :grin: :thumb:
He is taking orders so anyone who has found the same as me with either their stock shifter or SSK either OE or aftermarket, this mod is for you :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Excellent job :thumb:

I missed Alex's thread, cracking solution, nicely re-engineered too, wished I had a lathe, and a milling machine, centreless grinder, etc...

The cheapie ssk is brilliant for the money but this will definitely improve it no end!

A garage extension

Attachments

• 12_nearly_finished_107.jpg
    12_nearly_finished_107.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,738
Ratattak said:
A garage extension

Well it's really for my other car but the Porsche is in there for the time being ;)

Attachments

• 7_offside_107.jpg
    7_offside_107.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,736
Two shiny new turbos with all associated oil and coolant pipes, oil change and new filter. The beast breathes again :)

DaveH911 said:
Two shiny new turbos with all associated oil and coolant pipes, oil change and new filter. The beast breathes again :)

I hear those turbos are getting difficult to find, did you replace them with stock or upgraded ones?

apollokre1d said:
DaveH911 said:

I hear those turbos are getting difficult to find, did you replace them with stock or upgraded ones?

You hear correctly! After ringing all over the country and looking for refurbed or hybrids, I had to succumb to stock ones through Porsche from Germany (including a part exchange of my old ones). The housings on my old ones were completely shot. I did send them down to Turbo Dynamics in the hope of a possible refurb but they were too far gone to do anything with them.

DaveH911 said:
You hear correctly! After ringing all over the country and looking for refurbed or hybrids, I had to succumb to stock ones through Porsche from Germany (including a part exchange of my old ones). The housings on my old ones were completely shot. I did send them down to Turbo Dynamics in the hope of a possible refurb but they were too far gone to do anything with them.

What a nightmare :eek: I am guessing new ones from our local OPC's are just far too expensive?

apollokre1d said:
DaveH911 said:

What a nightmare :eek: I am guessing new ones from our local OPC's are just far too expensive?

My Indy managed to get them for me at a decent price after a bit of haggling but still cost me £6.5k for the pair incl. vat, then there was the small issue of oil and coolant pipe corrosion too meaning most of these have had to be replaced also. A very expensive day today but at least turbo wear is something that I won't have to worry about now for a very long time.

DaveH911 said:

Sh!t the bed... I don't suppose that was cheap? I had a sleepless night last week when my Turbo started stuttering on boost and was down on power. Turns out one of the actuator rods had failed. Have had them replaced and all seems well. Always worry about the cost of having to replace one or both of the turbochargers. Bad luck.

New coolant radiators, air con condensers, various hoses and coolant pipes. New turbo actuator rods and a new horn!!

Shewie said:
DaveH911 said:

Sh!t the bed... I don't suppose that was cheap? I had a sleepless night last week when my Turbo started stuttering on boost and was down on power. Turns out one of the actuator rods had failed. Have had them replaced and all seems well. Always worry about the cost of having to replace one or both of the turbochargers. Bad luck.

Not wanting to alarm but that is what happened to mine last year. Near side actuator rod was replaced. A few months later, I started to lose boost and after checking my Indy found the same side absolutely seized. He managed to free it off after a lot of effort and all seemed well until finally lighting up a cel and being investigated again the turbo was found to be full of oil.

DaveH911 said:
Shewie said:
DaveH911 said:

Not wanting to alarm but that is what happened to mine last year. Near side actuator rod was replaced. A few months later, I started to lose boost and after checking my Indy found the same side absolutely seized. He managed to free it off after a lot of effort and all seemed well until finally lighting up a cel and being investigated again the turbo was found to be full of oil.

Thanks! That's comforting to know :frustrated:

Phil 997 said:

I did same some time ago but using the Function First shift right bearings in a brand new SSK => http://www.function-first.com/products/engine-trans/shift-right-solution Works great and also will replace the plastic triangle inside.

Attachments

• srsretrofitpartsthumb_759.png
    srsretrofitpartsthumb_759.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 3,572
The good thing about the SSK I do is every component is metal, either the aluminium cradle, steel gear lever or Phosphor bronze bearings for maximum rigidity (over the plastic cradle seen in the function 1st photos).

......and mine's much cheaper.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back