Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Weeping coolant / cross over pipes - DIY

Clanky

Suzuka
As some of you may know, It seems to be a common issue with the two cross over pipes at the front of the car.
Mine was flagged at the last service telling me there was a slight weep, but nothing too serious. However it would need replacement in the near future.

I moved the car out of its tent last month just to run it up after sitting all winter, & found a puddle under the RH radiator. I had a dig around in the garage & found a rad which luckily I had from last year as I'd ordered two when the LH started leaking.

I decided that seeing as the system was drained, I may as well bite the bullet & do the pipework too, & seeing as I was in there, I decided to do them all as it would only be a matter of time...
Anyway, as awkward as they were to replace, here are some of the pictures from them if anyone is interested.

Of course, the pictures would show back to front!

For the record, I was facing a bill over 1k for the job, & the parts came to around £350 including the radiator.
I'm happy to have struck another job off the list :thumb:

The sub frame was quoted to be removed in order to do this job by my local OPC, but luckily I managed without the need to drop it fully.
I was able to get the pipes out & in with a fair bit of jiggery pokery & dropping the sub frame as far as I could on the last few threads of the bolts.
As I mentioned, it was awkward, but do-able without the need to drop the lot. I also coated all the pipe & hose ferrules with Dynax UC after assembly, so hopefully extend the longevity of the new ones.

Next thing will be to get the car in for the geometry to be re set, but it was due this anyway.
The system takes approx 15ltrs of coolant to re-fill as I recall, & has to be vacuumed in order to draw all the air out & suck the coolant back into the system.
Not an easy job, but possible if you are any use with the spanners. I'd have no hesitation attempting it again.

Chuffed! :thumb:

Attachments

• old_and_new_2_101.jpg
    old_and_new_2_101.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 6,249
  • old_hose2_797.jpg
    old_hose2_797.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 6,249
  • lh_side_107.jpg
    lh_side_107.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 6,249
  • rh_side_182.jpg
    rh_side_182.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 6,248
  • underside_155.jpg
    underside_155.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 6,246
  • underside_2_193.jpg
    underside_2_193.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 6,245
  • undertrays_997.jpg
    undertrays_997.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 6,249
Its actually a low rise scissor lift from Automotech.
I think its an AS-7530D. Heavy duty enough to lift a Rangerover & works off a single phase supply.

:thumb:

Brave man to take that job on :thumb: how did you ensure you had removed all the air from coolant system ?

steve baker said:
Brave man to take that job on :thumb: how did you ensure you had removed all the air from coolant system ?

I pulled a vacuum on it as per the porsche workshop manual.
I think about -0.9 bar is enough to draw all the air out & pull the coolant back in. You can see this in all the flexible hoses as they suck flat.
I have the kit from doing another radiator last year. It basically uses a Venturi off an airline to draw the vacuum & you isolate with a valve, then attach a hose to draw the coolant back in. I left it over lunch time with a vacuum to ensure that all the seals held ok.

I also ensured that it took the same amount that came out, which was about 9ltrs. After a short run up, it took a small top up.

I'll post up a pic of the system once I get a chance.
:thumbs:

Clanky said:
steve baker said:

I pulled a vacuum on it as per the porsche workshop manual.
I think about -0.9 bar is enough to draw all the air out & pull the coolant back in. You can see this in all the flexible hoses as they suck flat.
I have the kit from doing another radiator last year. It basically uses a Venturi off an airline to draw the vacuum & you isolate with a valve, then attach a hose to draw the coolant back in. I left it over lunch time with a vacuum to ensure that all the seals held ok.

I also ensured that it took the same amount that came out, which was about 9ltrs. After a short run up, it took a small top up.

I'll post up a pic of the system once I get a chance.
:thumbs:

Cheers 8)

The vacuum tool is the key, very rare we get airlock problems when using it anymore.

Heres the venturi unit. The rubber bung below the gauge goes into the expansion tank & you run the airline through the fitting on the upper left creating a vacuum on the system.
You then attach a hose in place of the venturi & draw the coolant back in to the system.

Attachments

• vac_system_804.jpg
    vac_system_804.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 5,984
Nice write up , thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back