Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water pump leak

Weston Matt

Monza
Evening all,

Hope we're all enjoying the sunshine 🌞

I have a leak by my water pump and looking through my paperwork it looks like it's not been changed - currently on 65k

So as always, questions.....

Should I replace temp thermostat and if so a low temp one and I was looking at Meyle for the water pump.

Lastly, anyone got recommendations for a vacuum pump for filling the coolant

Thanks Matt

Attachments

• cf04e4d6_dfc2_4894_95c9_4990315169d5_368.jpeg
    cf04e4d6_dfc2_4894_95c9_4990315169d5_368.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 762
From your pic it all looks a bit crusty...worse than mine and mine is on 100 k and lived outside for 99 % of that.

I can recommend a Hartech Low Temp Thermostat as soon as possible as a preventative to the dreaded bore score.

No advice on the water pump sorry

Yes, this one. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26259023...Wy65i+ITfC+dybSV/+IrAH6RQZHSb5|tkp:BFBMqsSxl4

Re water pump, the last one I did was a quinton Hazell item. That was last year and either it was from Autodoc or ebay, either way it was identical to the one I removed.

Re the thermostat, if it works you need not change it. I did change mine as the engine was out and i wanted every consulable component changed regardless. You can buy just the thermostat and keep the housing or buy the whole lot which is just as inexpensive. It also means that a new one and a pump looks very nice and clean.

The vacuum pump is essential as it means you can re fill the engine quickly and it wont overheat. I have used that pump so many times and on so many different cars, remember you will need a compressor to make it work.

Hope it all goes well, but since you are in there take a very good and close look at the condition of the Vaccum pump. If there are any signs of weeping or corrosion then now is a good opportunity to change it. I did a writ up with pictures to help owners.

Best of luck.

...you've got an exhaust leak as well; perhaps some new clamps while you are in the area, plus one of the coolant hoses appears to be missing a clamp (?) :thumbs:

Thanks

I noticed the exhaust but not the hose clamp!!!

Added to the list

Water pump is fiddly due to limited access but a pretty easy job. You don't lose too much coolant when changing the pump, i don't thing a vacuum is essential, I didn't need one.

Makes sense to change the thermostat while you're down there, as said not expensive.

Those exhaust clamps look like that after a few weeks in wet weather, they are poor quality galvanised steel. I have changed mine for stainless.

I did mine on a 997.1 Turbo and what a sod of a job it was, the worst bit was getting the exhaust off.

I bought my pump from Autodoc and it was £300 cheaper than OPC price. The pump is a Pierburg unit and that's what Autodoc sent me. Ended up doing my coil packs as well as they were pretty much toast but hadn't failed.

I changed my pump as a preventative measure last year on my 987 Boxster at about 85k miles. Seemed sensible to do as was having the coolant pipes done.

Also opted for a low temp stat at the same time - a while you were in their job.

With regards to the pump, make sure you get one with a composite impeller, not a metal impeller. When they fail, it's usually the bearings that go, a metal impeller will grind the block away creating massive damage to the coolant flow channel & contaminate coolant with metal shavings.

+1 to the composite impeller. Hartech removed a new a new metal bladed one from my 4.1 rebuild as they were not happy to send a fully refurbished 4.1 conversion out with a metal impeller due to possible damage if (when) it fails.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back