Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre wear

Riccardo

Monza
I fitted a full set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 to my 4S 6 years and 21k miles ago.

MOT today mentioned fronts are getting worn on the inside. Nothing re rears.

Is this normal? I thought that its normally 2x sets of rears for every set of fronts that wear out?

On a related note, will be replacing with Michelins again. Are PS2s as already fitted still a good choice, or better go for a more recent design, such as PS4 or PSS? Only use car in summer and on normal roads, no extreme driving.

No, it's not normal. Though to be fair 6yrs and 21k miles isn't bad.

Have you had the geo properly done recently?

Thanks, seemed strange to me too.

I've had a geo done when I changed all 4 shock absorbers last year. And before that 5 yrs ago when I had the inner ball joints done. All work carried out by Northway in Reading.

I'd get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres - they really are excellent, and very good in the wet - and re-check the alignment.

If your fronts are getting worn on the inside then your geo is out.

2 sets of rears = 1 set fronts over same mileage as a rule of thumb.

I just bought Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres and very happy so far.

Re alignment I went to Center Gravity. It might not be as local as Northway, but it's a good excuse to get out in the car and the interactive experience and attention to detail is definitely worth it. Plus there is a tyre shop, Mid Fit Tyres, just around the corner, and they work closely with Center Gravity. You could get it scheduled for the one visit.

I decided to refurb my wheels as I was changing tyres, so I used Chris at Exel Wheels to do the wheels and tyres - fantastic job. I have my next trip to Center Gravity later this month.

Again, thanks for feedback. In fact I do feel that the car hasn't been driving so well, might be explained by evidence of the geo being out.

I am booked into CoG on 13th Dec. Couldn't get in any sooner, I will be departing for a EU road trip on the 17th so by then the car will be on the winter tyres, which is a bit of a shame (CB911C4S don't fancy a time slot swap do you! ;-) )

When I refit summer tyres sounds like I should consider the Michelin PS4S, even if they're not N rated. I do tend to go for N-rated tyres, although annoyingly Porsche doesn't update their ratings so often.

I wouldn't mind swapping the session but I have a full day booked with CG - front mounts, front and rear control arms and geo. I presume you have a half day session?

Did you ask for a cancellation slot? I got in earlier on my first visit because someone had cancelled - worth asking.

Thats very genereous even considering this, thanks.

I'm not 100% sure whether I have 0.5 or full day. I booked for Geo (0.5 day) but then also highlighted that I might need ARB bushes and rear control arms, so suppose it might turn out full day? I'll verify with Holly now.

Riccardo said:
Thanks, seemed strange to me too.

I've had a geo done when I changed all 4 shock absorbers last year. And before that 5 yrs ago when I had the inner ball joints done. All work carried out by Northway in Reading.

Do you know the settings they used for the geo last year?

I ask because on mine, I had a "fast road" geo done last year and for that they typically increase the camber on the front as much as possible (assuming a standard car / suspension). If yours has been done like this too, I would expect more wear on the inners at the front.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back