Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Total 911's Top 7 997's ever built

isysman

Daytona
And the winner is...

Between the end of 2004 to 2012, the 997 generation reigned supreme, with 23 different models released in less than a decade. Including Coupe, Cabriolet and Targa versions, there were 40 different Porsche 911s for customers to choose from; it's not hard to see why this was the most popular neunelfer ever.

The Porsche 997 generation literally catered for every taste with amble options of Carrera, Turbo and GT3 machinery (along with a smattering of incredible Rennsport variants). But, which are our seven favourites?

7) PORSCHE 997 CARRERA S
997 Carrera S

After missing out an entire generation, the 'Carrera S' badge returned to Porsche's line-up with the launch of the 997. It may not have been as spectacular as some of the models that followed but it was incredibly popular with Zuffenhausen building over 40,000.
To see all the specs on the Porsche 997 Carrera S head over to Data File.

6) PORSCHE 997 SPORT CLASSIC
997 Sport Classic

Built to celebrate 25 years of Porsche Exclusive (the successor to the Sonderwunsch programme), the Sport Classic was the perfect highlight of all the skills learned by Zuffenhausen's bespoke department, with ducktail spoiler, double bubble roof and Fuchs alloys the obvious highlight.
To see all the specs on the Porsche 997 Sport Classic head over to Data File.

5) PORSCHE 997 TURBO S
997 Turbo S

The Porsche 997 Turbo S was built as a run-out model and was, in fact, the last 997 generation 911 to roll off the production line after the 2011 launch of the 991. With 530bhp and PDK, it is still phenomenally fast today although, with only 2,000 built, finding one is a tough ask.
To see all the specs on the Porsche 997 Turbo S head over to Data File.

4) PORSCHE 997.2 GT3
997.2 GT3

Like the 996, the second generation 997 GT3 was the perfect successor to the Gen1 model. Everything about the Porsche 997.2 GT3 is perfect, from the way it looks to the way it drives. Without the Rennsport accoutrements, the GT3 is a viable day-to-day 911 with more track performance than most will ever need.
To see all the specs on the Porsche 997.2 GT3 head over to Data File.

3) PORSCHE 997 CARRERA GTS
997 Carrera GTS

The C4 version of the 997 GTS may be the better year-round bet, but the rear-wheel drive 997 Carrera GTS is the purists' choice, especially when paired with the 997's delectable six-speed manual gearbox. Prices have stayed remarkably static in the last 12 months, which is no surprise as this is a truly excellent 911.
To see all the specs on the Porsche 997 Carrera GTS head over to Data File.

2) PORSCHE 997 GT3 RS 4.0
997 GT3 RS 4.0

Any list of 997s wouldn't be complete without what many people to consider the best 911 ever built: the GT3 RS 4.0. As close as you can get to a Cup car for the road, the 4.0-litre Mezger-powered Rennsport is the ultimate track tool. Yet, with prices swiftly heading north, many no longer see their natural habitat.
To see all the specs on the Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 head over to Data File.

1) PORSCHE 997 GT2 RS
997 GT2 RS

205mph and a Nordschleife lap time of sub-7m20s. The Porsche 997 GT2 RS is the fastest production 911 ever built. It's possibly the maddest Rennsport to ever roll out of Andreas Preuninger's esteemed workshop and, with only 500 built, it's an even rarer find than the GT3 RS 4.0 above.

1800x1200x997-GT2-RS.jpg

http://www.total911.com/total-911s-top-seven-porsche-997s-ever-built/

Any other marque's model range and this would simply be a trite and crass exhibition of self congratulatory pocket billiards.

But there is some genuine insight when you have 57 models to chose from.

:thumb:

My money would be on a GTS(4) for sheet bang for buck.

Is a GTS really that much different to a C2S?? :?:

More power, more arse, standard PSE and better residuals.

What's not to like?

More subtlely, there's a sportier, but more neutral* retuned suspension (springs and torsion bars) and sportier PUs.

Personally the centre locks do nothing for me, but some like them.

* Porsche's description.

GT4 said:

More subtlely, there's a sportier, but more neutral* retuned suspension (springs and torsion bars) and sportier PUs.

So what you're saying is no, there's not that much difference!

It is just a shame the top two cars (GT3RS 4.0 and GT2RS) are collectors pieces now. The chances of seeing one on the road is slight never mind being driven hard at a track.

isysman said:
It is just a shame the top two cars (GT3RS 4.0 and GT2RS) are collectors pieces now. The chances of seeing one on the road is slight never mind being driven hard at a track.

Go to the Nürburgring, I often see both these cars being driven as intended there.

StephenS1 said:
GT4 said:

On paper, a 997 GT3 is less practical, more rust prone and older engined than a 997 Carerra.

But that is to completely miss the point :cloud9:

StephenS1 said:
GT4 said:

I think you'll find that the features quoted by GT4 do make quite a lot of difference!!

Take it from me that, having owned a C2S prior to my current GTS, it's not just the improved appearance but also a step up in all-round performance and driving pleasure... :)

Really interesting list.....

I am in the market for a Gen 1 997 Turbo but occasionally get swayed away by the fact it is ~50k for quite an old car/technology.....

Quite a few keep ushering me towards a GTS - what say all of you? I know different car but......am confused :?:

sebba said:
I am in the market for a Gen 1 997 Turbo but occasionally get swayed away by the fact it is ~50k for quite an old car/technology.....

Quite a few keep ushering me towards a GTS - what say all of you? I know different car but......am confused :?:

For £50k you'll get the newest, low mileage 997.1T around but it will be a 7 year old car. There's a lot of nice ones around for £45k.

A 997GTS will be 5 years old at the most but I very much doubt whether you'll find one for £50k, more like £55K+, and for that money you'd just about get into a 997.2 Turbo.

The only way to know for sure which you prefer is to drive all three.

If I had an absolute £50k top budget I'd be looking at spending a bit less and going for a decent 997.1T but if I had £55k I'd be hard pushed to decide. For sheer grunt and kudos I'd wait until a good 997.2T came along but as a more usable, regular driver I'd probably go for a GTS.

T8 said:
sebba said:

For £50k you'll get the newest, low mileage 997.1T around but it will be a 7 year old car. There's a lot of nice ones around for £45k.

A 997GTS will be 5 years old at the most but I very much doubt whether you'll find one for £50k, more like £55K+, and for that money you'd just about get into a 997.2 Turbo.

The only way to know for sure which you prefer is to drive all three.

If I had an absolute £50k top budget I'd be looking at spending a bit less and going for a decent 997.1T but if I had £55k I'd be hard pushed to decide. For sheer grunt and kudos I'd wait until a good 997.2T came along but as a more usable, regular driver I'd probably go for a GTS.

Apols - that is fair, my range for a 997T Gen 1 was 45k - 50k but I was wondering on whether to stretch this to 55k for a GTS....didn't realise that 997T Gen2 start at 55k

So far in my hunt, I have not seen anything (Gen1 or Gen2 997TT) in any of those price ranges...

I'm quite biased as I have recently bought a manual black/ black 997.1 turbo. The more I drive it the more I love it. It is a truly iconic car. Good low mileage, non messed around cars with good dme scans are now rare (took me a long time to find).

Yes, you can buy a leggy tip turbo for £40k-45k, but to buy a good colour, manual, lowish mileage, great condition car you are going to be much closer to £50k and I found the good ones were selling literally overnight!

I love the gts. Beautiful car. I love the centre lock wheels and the look of the car. I also like the pdk box (I can't stand tip I might add, so it's great that it had gone before the gts arrived). If it was going to be a gts it would have to be a cab for me.

For me ... It had to be the iconic turbo ... The last of the manual megzer engine cars. It is ridiculously fast standard, very driveable, planted and very comfortable. It would take a serious amount of money to pry it from my hands now ..... which says it all!

Niall996 said:
Interesting. The Carrera S ranked as superior to the 997 Turbo.

:? where does it say that?

The standard 997T just isn't in their Top 7 'favourites' but neither is the standard GT2 or the GT3RS so it's in good company.

I found it more interesting that they didn't differentiate between the Gen1 cars and the Gen2 cars when referring to the Carrera 'S'.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back