Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ticking over like a bag o' spanners - Fixed

Throttle body clean (proper clean with carb cleaner and a rag+elbow grease) followed by a Throttle Position Sensor reset on my old 350z cured me of the same probs you have. Is it possible to 'reset' the 996 throttle position sensor? On the 350z you could do a 'Pedal Dance' in the correct sequence at ignition setting 1 to get the throttle to re-learn its position (you could actually hear it adjust itself after completing the dance lol)

My friend (who is my Indy) had this issue on a car he had in a few weeks ago.
He spent literally days trying to figure it out - changing lambdas, crank sensor, throttle sensor, plugs, packs, earth points, engine out looking for air leaks etc. I'm not joking he spent 3 straight days on it (this is the reason my car took so long to get in to have my problem sorted).

He has also got a 3.4 carrera. In the end he took his ECU and loom from his car and put it into the car with the problem. Bingo! Problem of rough idle sorted instantly. Symptoms were exactly the same as you have described.

When he plugged the faulty cars ECU into his car - the problem was there again.

This is the 3rd time he has seen this problem apparently.

Fortunately ECU's with keys can be found on eBay for about £100 but it must be the same engine model number as yours. There was a bit of an ECU changeover at the end of the 3.4 production run apparently.

Give Nelson Porsche a ring (stockton on tees) - say Ragpicker sent you :wink:

I was hoping not to hear "ECU" :nooo: I had a niggling in the back of my mind it could be that.

Wonder if doing a full reset on it may do something (battery disconnection).

My last car (CLK) every 12 months used to spit it's dummy out and constantly rev between 1500 - 3000 rpm on tickover. No CEL or anything else. Full reset on the ECU and it'd just go back to normal for another 12 months :dont know:

Its certainly worth a try!

he tried this with no result on this car. I even took the ecu file off his 3.4 to put on the faulty car to try to overwrite it but the ECU wouldn't accept it. He then tried to write a new file from Porsche with PIWIS but the ECU was having none of it.

Easiest thing to do would be to find someone near you with the same model car and swap over the ECU. It only takes about 20 mins to do. At least then you'd know.

Yeah sounds like a plan.

I'll try a reset 1st though :thumb:

ragpicker said:
Easiest thing to do would be to find someone near you with the same model car and swap over the ECU. It only takes about 20 mins to do. At least then you'd know.

Sounds like a plan! :thumb:

Which has me thinking.......... :chin:

I'd always thought of you as:
986tgn_val_kilmer_011.jpeg

But clearly you've turned into:
Hannibal_a-team.jpeg.jpg

When did that happen.......?? :dont know:

mechanic-doctor-1.jpg

Have you seen Val Kilmer recently?

fat-val-kilmer-photo-u1.jpg

That looks more like you than Val Kilmer :grin:

image_zpsb9ad0839.jpg

I DON'T BL00DY BELIEVE IT!!!!!!

Disconnected the battery this afternoon for a couple of hours to reset the ECU. Took it for a spin and got it up to temp and then waited to see what happened. Car seems to be ticking over fine. Left it for a while (well, had a quick S, S, S!) before nipping to the boozer. Fired up straight away, no hunting for idle, no trying to conk out, no thrust bearing rattling like metal mickeys scrotum. Car's behaving totally different (as it should when good).

Just been out again now and tried it - fired straight away up to about 1100 rpm then straight to 650-700!!!!

Jury's still out for me yet but the car seems to be behaving totally different. Time will tell over the weekend.
Is it possible for the ECU to get it's underpants twisted?

Thanks Dr Ragpicker (AGAIN!) for such sage advice - I owe you 2!!

fingers crossed - the car's sorted.

Now all I need is a few spirited drives on my trip to France and clog the wheels up with stones for a wobbly ride :grin:

Edit:
ragpicker said:
I'd exercise a bit of caution at the moment Alex... It could just be lulling you into a false sense of security.... If its ok after the weekend then it might have done the trick!

Heres hoping!

..... I need to start charging you......

Disclaimer: My advice is based on what I can read on the forum and no more. Advice given on a Porsche forum from an expert on a weekend is no substitute to a face to face consultation with a Porsche Technician if you feel the need arise Thumb

:floor:

alex yates said:
Edit:
ragpicker said:
I'd exercise a bit of caution at the moment Alex... It could just be lulling you into a false sense of security.... If its ok after the weekend then it might have done the trick!

Heres hoping!

..... I need to start charging you......

Disclaimer: My advice is based on what I can read on the forum and no more. Advice given on a Porsche forum from an expert on a weekend is no substitute to a face to face consultation with a Porsche Technician if you feel the need arise Thumb

:floor:

:puh:

Touche!

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back