Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Squeaky fan noise 2005 997 Porsche C2S

duncanelliott81

Hi guys and girls,

New to the forum so please go gentle with me!

I've recently bought a 2005 997 Carrera S and I've got a very annoying squeak coming into the cabin. It very subtle and only happens while the car is moving. It seems like air flowing through the car, makes a fan spin and subsequently squeak and squeal.

Things I have tried to fix it with no difference....

switch air con off
switch whole heating / cooling system off.
make heating fans go full whack

Whilst I feel like I'm hearing the noise through the vents....it clearly is not heater related! As I say, it seems like moving along makes the fan spin and make the noise. When I pull up to a junction....it stops!

Does anyone have any ideas? Which fan could be causing the issue and more importantly, is there a cure? Maybe I can squirt some lube at it and solve the problem....if just temporarily.

I've found a similar issue in the forums for a 964 but nothing on a 997.

Perversely, my oven makes an identical squeaking noise.....there is a fan knackered on that too somewhere!

I hope you can help me keep my sanity!

Hello duncan.and welcome to a great forum. Im sure someone will be along shortly with some ideas. All i can suggest is fit a porsche sports exhaust or gundo hack and drown the irritation !

Nice choice of car btw :thumbs:

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried clearing out any leaf debris from either side of the battery compartment?

I know this is a strange one, but do you have the big stopwatch on the dash? if so it might be creaking (like mine was)

Where are the pics?

Thanks for replying guys.

I'll try removing the leaves and crap tomorrow. I did look in there earlier....I was hunting for fans!! I must say I don't thing this noise is leaf related but it would be a result if I was wrong!

I do have the stop watch thngy.....I'll try whacking it a bit tomorrow and see if it makes and difference.

Thanks for you advise so far guys.....anymore suggestions, keep them coming.

Didn't know I needed pics!! I'll sort it out :eek:

Nnnoooo whacky whacky on car please. Poor thing, they can give us a lot of jip but whacking :dont know:

your oven on the other hand ...

Ok....whacky whacky not help......although made me feel better

On further inspection and diagnosis....it only squeaks when I am turning right.....starting to think it might not be a fan!!

Any ideas?

There is a sight lip on the front disc but I can't see that this is the cause....the tone doesn't appear under braking and braking or not doesn't change the tone.

From research it maybe some kind of dry joint or bush. Coffin bushes maybe? Track rod end? I shall start spraying it around and see what happens. Never heard of this kind of bush type thing cause a squeak though.

Failing that, I'll change the front discs.

Bushes are normally clunks or groans, but no harm in checking.

Geometry changes as you steer, and this in turn slightly twists the caliper to disc alignment.

The test if once you hear the noise (whilst steering), is to lightly apply the brakes and seeing if it stops.

As you say there is no difference with/without brakes applied, then it isn't the discs.

In which case my next guess (and it is a guess, as with any noise described in words!), is power steering actuator (system).

Which may at first sound odd (no pun), but the system can work (or defect) in asymmetric ways.

I'll double check the braking when steering but I think move done that to no avail.

Something on the power steering wouldn't surprise me by the sound.

It certainly isn't a clunk or groan. It really does sound like a squeaking fan or belt but I have no idea why it would only do it when I steer. Is there a belt with the power steering?

Indy coming to the house in the week to have a look. I'll get him to lubricate the suspension and see if it fixes it. Noise definitely coming from near side left when turning right......bizarre!

From past experience, albeit on a BMW, I found this to be from worn top mounts. As you turn your vehicle, they rotate on top of your struts.

Ball joint perhaps. ??

Thanks for your help all.

Following testing the brakes theory....braking while squeaking, it makes no difference....unfortunately.

Looking like a suspension type issue like ball joints or something called a coffin arm.

Still to have it inspected but this looks to be the problem.

I will report back ASAP!

OK.....finally sorted this.

I pulled up at home the other day and I was sat on the drive with the engine running whilst sending a text and I could hear the squeak!!

This obviously means I was right from the start and it was a squeaky fan!

I ordered the new HVAC fan part off ebay and hey presto....no more squeak!

I did the usual check for this fault right at the beginning......I turned the fan up to different speeds but it didn't make a noise at the time. It must have just got worse since I originally posted.

With regards to the turning right thing....it must be when air flows through the car when turning that made it worse.

I don't really care either way as the squeak has gone!

There is a school of thought that you can lubricate the fan to ease it nut I'm not sure how long that would last. The part is only about £30 and not a difficult fix. Glove box off on passenger side is the hardest bit....which isn't tricky really.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back