Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Servicing - OPC or independent

JamesMann100

Hi all. I have a 2010 997.2 C4S PDK with 54k on it. It has a full OPC history, and I need to do its first service in my ownership soon. I plan to own the car at least another 5 years and possibly more, so I wanted to get people's opinion on where to go, pay the extra to continue OPC or go independent. I've never liked main dealers for servicing in my non-Porsche days, would always prefer a decent independent, but do you guys think the car would be worth more with a full OPC in 5-10 years? I live near Reading, so if you think independent is the way to go, let me know of any recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Opinions will vary on whether to remain with OPC or go to an independent. If you go the independent route then I would stick with the same one, if happy with pricing and quality of work done and customer service, obviously.

Any future buyer of your car that's showing a service history with an OPC followed by a number of consecutive services with a reputable independent, such as Northway, reasonably local to you then they shouldn't be put off if they've carried out their due diligence.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=143886&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The 'added value' is a question that's been asked several times before and the response from people who have spoken to 'the trade' has been that an Pc history adds about £500 to the part-ex value.

If selling privately I think it might add a bit more than that and, more importantly, would make it more desirable.

That said, a lot of existing Porsche owners claim that history showing servicing by a recognised Indy would be preferable to them.

Reputable Indy all the way, a wise man once told me that OPC want the car turned round in as little time as possible. To the point that the Technician is offered financial incentive to achieve this. The top Indys want you back through their doors as many times as possible.

I came over from VAG enthusiasm, over there, an R32 or R with full VW SH was a turn off. And with good reason.

I used to drive my Cayman 120 miles to Precision, where a service lasts all day. To the point they scrub all the under trays and refinish your wheel bolts. It's the little touches that mean so much.

Faceless corporation where time truly is money or a top Indy where customer satisfaction is everything.

I just bought a car that has only ever been serviced by independents. I actually preferred it that way. I know many people will want OPC to get the stamp in the book but then will not do any exceptional maintenance because of their extortionate pricing.

Also OPC will have a manual to follow and will be sticking by the book. Even if that book has proven to be imperfect over time. And as these cars are they are seeing less and less of them and will not be familiar with the issues that arise over time.

I would go indie all the way and will actually look if money has been spent on the car where it matters. Rather than getting the oil and brake fluid changed at an OPC and then nothing else done.

But a novice looking into Porsche for the first time will probably be impressed by all those OPC stamps.. question is do you want your car properly looked after with all the bits that need doing done, or do you prefer to get an extra stamp for the oil and then take it somewhere else for all the rest of the extraordinary maintenance that your car will invariably need doing soon.

I bought my car (997.2 C2S manual) with full OPC service history. It was due its 12 year major just after I got it and I went through same dilemma. However, after speaking to Porsche and a good Indy about pricing, what's done etc, I went to Indy. Not regretted my decision but, as above, make sure it's a good Indy.

It will be a 12 year service, the biggest and arguably most important, especially as it's a PDK.

I had mine done in March (42k miles) at OPC Hatfield @£2100, this included spark plugs, brake fluid and all recommended items including clutch and transmission fluids for the PDK (aka the big one). Car was turned around in 2 days and I received a 7min video inspection of the car which was informative and covered everything from aircon, brakes, suspension, engine mounts etc.

Like you I have a full OPC service history and for the extra few £ and peace of mind with the PDK service it was well worth it. Hatfield are a Porsche classic garage so they are experienced working on both the older stuff and newer PDK.

For reference I had a quote from 2 prominent independents in Herts both were at circa £16/1700 like for like. OPC Brooklands we're at £1900.

For all my other maintenance I.e condenser's, brakes etc I have used an independent.

Like for anything, there is good and bad! You pay a bit more for OPC stamps and will have a better value when it comes to selling. I have always stuck to OPC's and my local ones Bristol and Exeter are good fortunately.

As pzero predicted, this one definitely divides opinion! Given how long I'm going to own it for, have decided to go Indy. Northway was suggested, they have very good reviews so will give them a call.

It is the big 12 year service, but there was an issue with my gearbox sensor about a year ago, and the PDK oil was changed at that time, so at least that one doesn't need doing now.

Thanks again all, much appreciate the quick responses!

I don't think it makes any difference to the value, as I think most Porsche buyers will expect the full stack of invoices and paperwork to back up the oil change/servicing/maintenance stamps.

Or to put it this way, I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for a 'full OPC service history' if they've only seen the car every couple of years on extended service intervals. I'd more likely walk away. I'd expect no less than annual servicing and plenty of evidence, whether OPC or independent.

I was in the same situation as you last year, same car but a few more miles.
I had it booked in at an OPC for a service and other things and after reading on this forum that all you loose is £500 if part ex'd.
I have no intention with parting with my car yet and have had it now for coming on 5 years this month.
On reading the post about the £500 I decided to go to my indy that I had used for doing all other work apart from servicing and straight away I had saved from the £1200+ to £600.
Indy for me from now on, the damage has been done and I've lost the £500 but looking forward to all the money that i will be saving :)

Swamps :)

Had same dilemma last year. 12 year service, spark plugs, PDK oil, etc.

Was read to go to Indy, but after ringing around, OPC was only £150 more, so stuck with it for maintaining FPSH.

Will see what happens next time.

I use Indy for brakes, etc.

I do find it interesting that a lot of people will have their cars serviced by an OPC to get the stamp in the book then use an Indy for everything else ..

Would not a prospective buyer ask the same question ? service at OPC for a stamp but everything done at an Indy .. why not everything done at an OPC ?

They are technically better than us if you are getting the service done there so they should be doing the extra work if you are Maintaining an OPC history ??

Cost of course but what difference between other work and a stamp in the eyes of a buyer ?

Perhaps someone that only looks at the service book and not the actual invoices for work completed .. which is actually the more important of the two .. along with the recommendations that may or may not have been done .

Obviously a lot of Indy mechanics are ex OPC guys ... same job .. different cost .

This topic has come up many times .. and i still struggle with it .. OPC or Indy should mean one or the other ??

At the end of the day .. it's far better to use a garage you trust than the stamp in the book imho .

Relationships take time to build ... from both sides ... and both have their respective benefits .

I would go Indy

As my 996 turbo has olpc then Indy history

My 997.2 C2s had full opc ( until they decided to send me a video of a snapped tie wrap) then asked for£45 to replace it ! Instead of spending 1 min just sorting it. Then quoting £2100 for the 12 year service So after that Indy all the way.

My cayenne 4.2 has full opc , will be going indy

The only 'incentive' for OPC servicing is when you are forced down that route by the Warranty.

No warranty, go independent. I know the 12yr service is a biggy but £2,100 :eek: and whilst I can understand the nervousness if the PDK lets go but if it's not on warranty you might get some goodwill but that will be against a full replacement gearbox cost as OPC do not 'repair' but swap for new parts.

You could let them do the basics and then take it elsewhere for consumables but I'd question the benefit.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back