Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Put a deposit on a 991.1

Well, I have the car and it is EPIC!

It was a bit of a saga collecting it, but I got there in the end.

I went up to Paddington on the train on Wednesday and met the lovely gent who was brokering the deal, he picked me up in his 718 GT4 which was an added treat. We drove up to Bushey to view the car and when he opened the garage I was blown away, it looked awesome.

I checked it all over and then we went for a test drive, which is where things went a bit awry...

After a few minutes the car started juddering and a slew of yellow warning lights came on, and my brain went into 'disappointment' mode.
Thinking on the fly the broker rang Porchetech as it had been serviced there only a week or so before and asked if we could come straight to them. We were able to drive it there carefully and then dropped it with them.

The Porchtech guys were awesome - big shoutout to Andy Pam and Gary. They had a 3 week backlog but were happy to squeeze us in.
They couldn't look at it right away as it was too hot, but they did a code read and it was misfiring on cylinder 6.

With that I took a train home again (which the seller kindly paid for, along with lunch), and we agreed to wait to see what the investigation came back with.

Next day around 4pm Porchetech rang and said it was just a faulty coil. They changed the coil and tested the car and all was well. Phew.

I was still keen for the car as I had put so much time and energy had gone in to finding the right spec model. So, I was happy to proceed with the purchase, albeit a touch worried due to the cost of the vehicle.

The next-day I took another train up and purchased the car. Awesome!
Dealing with HSBC was painful and delayed me by a few hours as their 'Fraud Team' didn't want to issue the transaction without doing a lot of checks.

What followed was me doing a 4 and a half hour drive back home, with a baptism-of-fire of driving through central London in Friday rush hour :driving: Which was very daunting for a small town lad, and I did get beeped at once for being in the wrong lane. Oops.

I got the car home safely that evening, and spent all day yesterday applying my 23 year old Autoglym products :grin:

I'm really happy. I can't stop looking at it and popping out for random journeys. The sound of the flat 6 burbling away is worth the entrance fee alone. Beautiful.

Heres some dusk snaps after I buffed off the Autoglym EGP

The jury is out on the PDK. I do love a manual, but was keen to try PDK ownership. PDK makes sense for my daily driving habits so I think I made the right choice, but I do love the purity of a Manual transmission on a deserted B road on a Sunday morning. Perhaps a manual GTS will be in my future...

Cheers! :cloud9:

Car looks fantastic, and health to drive and enjoy. :thumb:

Once you get dialled into the PDK box, and what it can do in Sports+ mode, you'll be blown away. :D

Congratulations, looks awesome.

Great to hear about a seller that cares.

I had the same thing happen when test driving my boxster, it had just had an OPC service and new coil pack and misfired 10 min into the test drive. Turned out to be a faulty new coil pack and I was happy to travel back to purchase the car.

:congrats:

Enjoy! :thumb:

@gerlewis, congrats on picking up the GTS.

Sounds like a great result in the end, as others have said, great to hear a seller (or broker) go the extra mile and help get the issue sorted as well as cover your lunch & train fare.

Looks like a stunning example, you'll definitely gel with the PDK as you put a few miles on it, as others have said, Sport mode really opens things up - the engine note is addictive isn't it ;)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back