Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Potentially "cheap" track car? GT3 with damage on

ScoobyDoo555

Barcelona
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-PORS...K&hash=item3a76ee8e15&clk_rvr_id=362670197838

2003 PORSCHE 911 GT3 SILVER - DAMAGED REPAIRABLE

This Porsche 996 GT3 was previously owned by myself. I sold it to a guy, who crashed it within 2 days (Big feet, small brain)

.I subsequently bought it back from the Insurance company, who have registered the car as a Cat C.

The damage was to the drivers side front and rear suspension, front and rear wings, bumpers and sill. One headlight is also damaged. There was no Chassis damage.

During transportation, the Air Con pipes underneath were damaged, so these will need replacing.

The Airbag light is on, but no airbags were set off, so I guess this will just need a reset.

The suspension has now been sorted at great cost and the car now runs and drives with no problems.

It is only the damaged bodywork,that you see in the photos that needs to be sorted, to make this a great car once again.

The mileage is 28400. There is no Tax or Mot.

I'll be interested to see what it goes for, the remaining work doesn't seem too bad if it really is only a few panels and resetting a light.

MC

Probably best fixed up as purely a track day car so you'd never need to worry about MoT, tax or road Insurance. Although it is a comfort spec.

You know it will still go for a decent amount with only bodywork to finish and an AC pipe to fit. Although GT3 wheels would of got it a better price at end of auction.

spyderman said:
Probably best fixed up as purely a track day car so you'd never need to worry about MoT, tax or road Insurance.

Not sure what worries you would have about Tax, MOT and Insurance with this car though. :?:

Sitting a little low at the rear!!

MisterCorn said:
I'll be interested to see what it goes for, the remaining work doesn't seem too bad if it really is only a few panels and resetting a light.

MC

At a Porsche bodyshop (assuming that the ad is completely above board) that looks about £6k worth to sort the panels and issues described. A lot less at a decent independent though. The bad choice of wheels would take a couple of grand to resolve and it has the wrong seats of course. Also consider that a Cat C will always be very hard to move on for anything other than an indecent discount.

Obviously it ought to be worth a fair bit more than it is currently at, but we will have to see where the bidders take it to determine whether it is a deal or a bad idea. If completely honest it should certainly make mid to high twenties though I reckon.

Category C: Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. The vehicle should have an independent inspection before being allowed back onto the road.

Since category C is on the border of breaking the vehicle salvage down for car parts and fixing the vehicle salvage up, you should always ensure you can fix it up for a profit before purchasing.

Only real way with this car is to sell the parts separately

Those wheels have gone on after the accident, surely?

There's more than a small chance on some of the suspension mounting points not being where they should be. I'd want to jig it to make sure.

If you check out some of his purchases he has obviously used a lot of 2nd hand suspension bits when repairing via Ebay.
Most are listed as standard 996 and boxster parts, are they interchangable with a GT3 :?:

churny said:
If you check out some of his purchases he has obviously used a lot of 2nd hand suspension bits when repairing via Ebay.
Most are listed as standard 996 and boxster parts, are they interchangable with a GT3 :?:

Depends on how you mean by interchangeable - they are not generally the same parts for suspension bits, but they will fit just as they would on any other 996 C2/C4 shell. You will lose a lot of the potential for adjustment though and it wouldn't be like for like in cost or function.

If you were building a track car and using this as a base you might be looking at replacing a lot of these with aftermarket items anyway though, as several on here have.

Porsche News said:
Category C: Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. The vehicle should have an independent inspection before being allowed back onto the road.

Since category C is on the border of breaking the vehicle salvage down for car parts and fixing the vehicle salvage up, you should always ensure you can fix it up for a profit before purchasing.

Only real way with this car is to sell the parts separately

Maybe, but the high cost of a Porsche approved repair (which the owner can insist on from an insurer) makes even a 996 GT3 surprisingly easy to write off with comparatively minor damage. Especially if someone is entitled to an equivalent courtesy car.

Could be a good project at the right money.

Interestingly the seller wil "post to Europe " :lol:

looking at the pics, the bodywork damage looks quite superficial (for a pro bodyshop);
begs the question, why not sort this too and sell ?
surely it would command a greater audience and hence price if it was fixed fully ?
even with those shocking wheels.....

I think the suspension took a lot of the force, judging by the spares he bought on Ebay, including an air bag even though " no airbag activitated " stated in the ad
I agree the body doesnt look like it would take much to finish, probably a bit more to it or is that just the cynic in me. :nooo:
I think if you buy a project like this you are much better buying it before someone has attempted a repair.

Will be interesting to see how much it goes for, and if it turns up again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back