Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PoCOM or Durametric?

Hugh_

Monza
I can't find anything comparing PoCOM or Durametric Enthusiast.

I want to be able to read and clear codes, log MAF voltage and cam deviation, and seeing over-revs would be a bonus but not essential.

Has anyone got experience of both, or the limitations of either?

I have what I presume is a clone MK1 cable (plus a spare) and an early 3.X version of Durametric. It's great for reading the ECU and displaying live figures, but won't read any other module in the car.

Not sure if my 98 is too early for other modules or it's just my £50 cable and software, although Durametric 3.x should do up to 2008 cars.

YPVS said:
I have what I presume is a clone MK1 cable (plus a spare) and an early 3.X version of Durametric. It's great for reading the ECU and displaying live figures, but won't read any other module in the car.

Not sure if my 98 is too early for other modules or it's just my £50 cable and software, although Durametric 3.x should do up to 2008 cars.

I have the same, it only runs on XP I believe and I have an ancient old laptop in the garage for this purpose. As you say mine won't access other modules apart from the DME reliably either. Not sure if you can even but it any more, mine was a £15 Ebay punt about 6 years ago.

For me the Durametric has been brilliant in looking deeper into the engine (cam deviation etc), giving me peace of mind and diagnosing rough running issues. I saw the other cable advertised but didn't want to be disappointed so gave it a miss.

When Durametric develop software for the other half of the computer world - Mac - I will get one.

Mervo said:
When Durametric develop software for the other half of the computer world - Mac - I will get one.

Half? :floor:

5% more like. That's why they won't bother.

91% Windows OS, 6% other, 5% Mac OS.

I guess it varies among countries and the modern platforms used for reading the diagnostic software under discussion. Here in Australia 15% of desktops are Macs, 53% of iPhones and 82% of tablets are iPads- all using an Apple OS. 2020 data show a similar distribution in the UK - overall about 46%.

Seems a market worth consideration. Thanks.

There doesn't seem to be much love for the PoCOM here, so think it's the durametric then. Going to be an expensive evening with that and wheel spacers :) :thumbs:

Actually before I order, can anyone confirm whether you can trigger the engine lid fan to test it with Durametric?

I have had a couple of durametrics (standard and Pro)
On 996s it can have black spots on its ability to communicate with some modules depending on the year - my 99 996 cab could use about 3/4 of the modules while a 98 c4S seemed to have basically everything working. Generally the engine was not an issue but never tried the fan sorry.

997s have far better reliability connecting i have found.

The other tool i have use is the foxwell NT520 - as its more portable but far less functions. For me a durametric is worth the extra, as when you need it - you need it.

Mervo said:
I guess it varies among countries and the modern platforms used for reading the diagnostic software under discussion. Here in Australia 15% of desktops are Macs, 53% of iPhones and 82% of tablets are iPads- all using an Apple OS. 2020 data show a similar distribution in the UK - overall about 46%.

Seems a market worth consideration. Thanks.

Mac's don't use IOS though.

Whilst Apple have a good share of smartphones and tablets, the MAC OS computers only make up a small minority worldwide. This makes many manufacturers not bother writing another version to cater for the few.

Every PC adheres to the same hardware design principals. Mac's are completely different by design and compatibility.

They will, as more of these connecting devices continue to rely on mobile applications. Or else other providers will develop the applications.

Hi bud

I can confirm you can activate the engine lid cooling fan with the durametric 👌

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back