Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Parking brake fault

balcairn

Trainee
Rather annoying problem considering car is at back of a 3 car garage a fee inches away from back wall. Anyway i unlock car and instantly the parking brake light itself is flashing and console handbrake light os flashing. If i turn on car it says 'parking brake fault' as well as 'start stop disabled'. Phoned porsche perth they said try seatbelt in and drive away - both forward/reverse no joy.

Anyone know of any magic way or am i relying on recovery having to put skates under wheels? Car starts fine and its on a trickle charger now.

I've had the same fault when the battery was low.. Charged up and all cleared back to normal

Yeh beginning to think (original?) battery given up ghost as ctek sometimes goes to pulse then resets to analyse or absorption.

Scratch that it errored - having to buy a battery and selling car anyway pfft

Whoever designed the electric handbrake and placed it under the dash wants stringing up by their gonads :evil:

Why could we not just have a conventional handbrake :dont know:

Yeh a pain - now waiting on tow truck and hopefully they listened to my 'car cant move and at back of a garage' chat.

Car dragged out of garage and two worrying things: random connector broke under back passenger wheel and car seems to have sunk. Notice gap on two pics rear passenger v driver

Attachments

• 70619536520_cf94c632_dcff_41a8_aee2_c90749e7b05a_481.jpeg
    70619536520_cf94c632_dcff_41a8_aee2_c90749e7b05a_481.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 695
  • 70619405508_4cd5101a_4948_46dc_b1a4_728b5d85fff2_145.jpeg
    70619405508_4cd5101a_4948_46dc_b1a4_728b5d85fff2_145.jpeg
    432.4 KB · Views: 697
  • 70619534994_320063a7_e2be_49b7_9590_fa542869ba67_212.jpeg
    70619534994_320063a7_e2be_49b7_9590_fa542869ba67_212.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 693
Could be the coil spring broken. Mine went and took out the handbrake actuator at the same time. Luckily my handbrake worked to enable them to load it on the recovery vehicle. Hope it all goes ok.

Coil spring has come detached , it's only located via a circlip .. plastic bit .. i think it's part of an undertray .

Dragging the car out with handbrake on .. i guess it's possible for this to happen .. kinda stuck on what options other than this though .

So car was recovered to OPC and they managed to get it moving. Car was indeed dragged made complicated by car being on rubber mats (move whilst dragged) and wood on garage floor not secured to floor:)

Mentioned cable so seems consistent with what everyone is saying. Will know wallet damage next week

*****:spring was broken which also took with it ABS harness and spreader device. Cherry on top battery needs replaced too. All for a car selling :sad:

Was quoted 3k and asked if anything covered under warranty. Oh your car doesn't have warranty - after frantic check and phoning other dealer I do so £2600 avoided yay (methinks they forgot to put it through). New battery was required.

Warranty yet again saving my bacon

Had the "parking brake fault" flash up on the right dial and orange symbol illuminate on the centre dial whilst driving along today in the Cayman at about 40mph.
No evidence of a spring breakage, and fault has disappeared after I stopped and took the key out.
Any ideas ?

Probably just the temperature and lack of use dropping battery voltage a little low and causing the error. I had it on a short trip in my 911 last month. Hasn't appeared since putting the car on a ctek.

Probably just the temperature and lack of use dropping battery voltage a little low and causing the error. I had it on a short trip in my 911 last month. Hasn't appeared since putting the car on a ctek.
Thanks. Car driven every day 20-40 miles typically, so battery always in good shape - measured battery voltage at 12.83V with engine off.
When I asked the OPC the reason, they stated a potential calibration error (on brake shoe gap) which they may have knocked doing my exhaust replacement warranty work. Sort of makes sense. Everything OK now.

So the parking brake fault occurred 10+ times.
Car rolled backwards down a hill at one point whilst at traffic lights, and on two occasions the parking brake would not release at all.

After the OPC removed the discs, the friction pad material was found to have broken off on 2 out of the 4 metal brake shoes. This had subsequently caused disc overheating, as well as the direct parking brake issues.

So brake pads, brake shoes, springs, ancillaries and discs were all replaced. I did not pay any of the costs. Excellent service from the OPC.

Attachments

• brakeshoe.jpg
    brakeshoe.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 3
I’ve had exactly the same issue. The car had been serviced by Porsche dealerships for 10 years. I decided to do my own service and look into the same problem. 1 side no lining on the brake shoes, other side 1 lining was coming off. Surely this should have been picked up at one of the services whilst calibrating/adjusting the shoe clearance!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashton911
Back