Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Change Question

ians

Hi All

Have a 2012 991 3.4ltr, just done my first oil and filter change, manual says oil capacity 7.5 Litres, when refilling I added 7 litres and checked it, it said min level reached, so added another 1/2 litre and its still saying add oil, I don't want to add too much oil has anybody had this ?

Many thanks

Ian

yo add back approx 7 to 7.5 litres, but the actual capacity is more since you dont drain all of the oil

has it reached it's minimum capacity as opposed to reaching it's optimal capacity ?

Yes it is reading min oil level and says add oil

Thanks for reply

So added it to 7.5 Litres, took car for a run to get up to temp, came back still reading low oil, so took the chance and added another 1/4 Litre went for a run, stopped and checked oil and it sat at the near max limit now, i would have prefered it sat just above the middle, will monitor and see

Regards

ian

So added it to 7.5 Litres, took car for a run to get up to temp, came back still reading low oil, so took the chance and added another 1/4 Litre went for a run, stopped and checked oil and it sat at the near max limit now, i would have prefered it sat just above the middle, will monitor and see

Regards

ian
Hiya Ian that essential what you needed to do, it's filled to min, give it 24 hours to settle or go for a short drive to get the oil up to temp to determine what the level should be

all sorted and a huge saving over an OPC (y)

Hiya Ian that essential what you needed to do, it's filled to min, give it 24 hours to settle or go for a short drive to get the oil up to temp to determine what the level should be

all sorted and a huge saving over an OPC (y)
Took car for nice run later in the day, the oil has now settled down to 3/4 full on the oil reading so happy with that, just surprised it took nearly 8 litres ,

Many Thanks for you're reply

Regards

Ian

Took car for nice run later in the day, the oil has now settled down to 3/4 full on the oil reading so happy with that, just surprised it took nearly 8 litres ,

Many Thanks for you're reply

Regards

Ian
Hi Ian,

This is quite common when you change oil at home and depends what attitude the engine/sump was in when draining - level or slightly inclined forwards etc. The expected fill for oil/filter is c7.5ltrs but there's still around 2.6ltrs of oil left around in galleries when you drain. New fill at factory is 10.1. My first time draining I got about 7.5ltrs out but now, I incline the car forward more and often get c8+ltrs out.

The interlock for the engine cover is retarded and I'd much rather a dipstick but tend to just take it slowly, make sure the car is 100% level when filling, add 7-7.5ltrs until it reaches min value, then start and warm up to temp (oil temp at 90 DegC+) and typically add another 100-200ml. Test and it's usually around 2 bars on the gauge. Leave it a day, warm her up fully again and then slowly add a bit at a time, to bring to 3-4 bars.

Just done exactly that a week ago and in total, she took slightly over 8ltrs of Mobil 1 5W-50. Hope that gives some peace of mind :)

Thanks for the reply Mark
Car was level when started draining oil, then I took it a bit higher at the back, and then dropped it down a bit on the passenger side, then higher at the front lol, mainly just to see if anymore oil came out, first time I have done a self change, so was just a worried after reading that they generally take 7.5 Litres, was down at my indy a couple of weeks and he confirmed it was ok, its a real easy job to do and saved a decent amount of money

Many Thanks
Ian

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back